The Armstrong/USPS doping thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
<dons Mod hat>

Speaking as the Mod who closed the thread - :wahhey: or :boxing:, (depending on your outlook :whistle: ), I'll give you some background.

I had an interest in - and read - the whole thread from the beginning :tired:. On the whole, the discussion was conducted in a sensible, mature and reasonable manner throughout. It was a credit to CC :thumbsup: and to those engaged in the discussion. :bravo:

However, once it expanded to draw in those who didn't/don't have a close, perhaps detailed, interest in the pro cycling scene, past and present, it began to become repetitious, with people who had not read all the previous posts asking questions and expressing opinions which had been answered/discussed some pages earlier.

It was also noticeable that, when news/information was slow in emerging, the thread changed character a bit. ;)

After the USADA decision, the main purpose of the thread had been fulfilled and it was suggested via PM that the conversation had run its course, discussion was drifting and becoming acrimonious.

To prevent it becoming abusive and to maintain its position as a 'model discussion thread on a potentially minefield subject' (my definition), I re-read the last few pages and could see the validity of the proposal to close it.

So I did - not in any way to stifle debate, more to stifle acrimony and abuse. :thumbsup: Clearly, there is a strong voice calling for its re-instatement. Discussion is on-going amongst the Mods and we have not made a definitive decision yet, AFAIK. :unsure:

There have been a few posts in this thread referring to trolls :troll: . If you think someone is only involving themselves in a thread in order to troll - please use the Report button. Remember that we are not full-time Mods, we have other priorities, we are fallible :eek: but we do try to keep CC running according to its tag-line: "A fun and friendly cycling community".

I hope this explains my (our ??) reasoning.

:thanks:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I appreciate your candour Scoosh and I also disliked the way the thread had been derailed by two posters in particular. For some of us, well me anyway, feel it goes against the grain to report posters. I wonder if that would have ben a better idea but I suppose I hoped that independent intervention would have happened but I appreciate that the Mods can't be everywhere and you largely perform a good but thankless task.
One of the serial 'trolls' even posted that he'd 'succeeded' when he drove me to 'ignore' him which summed up his motivation for me.
Keep up the good work Mod men and come to a reasoned decision!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The mods do take banning people very seriously - i.e they don't do it very often. Maybe that needs reviewing then :secret:

As said there is the handy 'ignore' button :smooch:

Shaun

Founder
I'll have a look at this later tonight. In the meantime take it easy and chat about some other stuff. :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I appreciate revealing your reasoning, Scoosh, but it was still a mistaken decision - and especially to say 'the matter has been decided'! There might be a few days or even weeks of lull in the discussion but this will run and run. Before you had a single contained space for discussion of this issue. Now, all that will happen is that threads will proliferate on the subject, making more work for you and other mods.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Thanks for the explanation Scoosh. I don't agree with the decision to close (as you can probably tell) but given that the thread was already being watched and discussed, surely an official warning on-thread would have been appropriate?

I have to say I don't agree entirely with some other posters about the 'trolls'. The people being referred to might be bloody-minded, pedantic and frankly a total pain in the arse, but I think it's unfair to describe them as trolls and call for them to be banned. Again, a warning would have been appropriate.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks for the explanation Scoosh. I don't agree with the decision to close (as you can probably tell) but given that the thread was already being watched and discussed, surely an official warning on-thread would have been appropriate?

I have to say I don't agree entirely with some other posters about the 'trolls'. The people being referred to might be bloody-minded, pedantic and frankly a total pain in the arse, but I think it's unfair to describe them as trolls and call for them to be banned. Again, a warning would have been appropriate.
Celebrating being ignored as a victory sounds pretty trollish to me !

You may be right in one case but not the other but I'm all out of charity today.

Shaun

Founder
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look at this later tonight. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Norm

I think that this is a critical thing for many to realise. Troll does not mean 'someone who holds a different opinion to mine and can't be bullied into backing down'.

On the other hand, in response to those who think there should have been a warning, that was, as Lukesdad pointed out, the fourth thread locked because it had nowhere to go and had started the downward spiral.

Would many really spend long deciding between closing a thread and going through it deleting dozens of posts, in the certain knowledge that there would be dozens more the next time you log in? We tried that recently on a thread or two and, IIRC, ended up closing it anyway.

Shaun

Founder
Having reviewed most of the 119 pages of the thread I concur with scoosh that it had served its main purpose (and could have done so in far fewer pages!!).

I also concur that some people extended and disrupted the thread but unfortunately the moderator team did not have the tools to exclude individuals and so their only option to stop circular repetition was to lock the whole thread; not an ideal option.

So to resolve this I've installed a new thread exclusion tool. This will make it fairer for those of you who are conducting yourselves in a reasonable manner by giving the modding team the flexibility to temporarily exclude individuals who are being disruptive, unnecessarily pedantry, taking a thread off-topic, etc. - whilst allowing a thread to remain open and discussion to contine.

A number of you wanted to continue the Armstrong discussion and started a new thread to do so. I think it's best we let the new thread run on the understanding that should anyone disrupt it they should expect a visit from the thread exlusion fairy!! :thumbsup:

Armstrong thread contined here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-new-improved-lance-armstrong-discussion-thread.110635/

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom