The Armstrong/USPS doping thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Whilst I agree with the "if you don't like a thread, then don't go back" sentiment, I am actually interested in the thread subject matter - the systematic doping and trafficking of banned products by Lance Armstrong and others. There were others on the thread with no interest at all, and who dragged it down into the mire of trolldom. Rather than ignoring them, people got into pedantic nobbery and spoiled what should have been a good thread. I expect people to know a bit about the subject matter or state they want clarification on matters, rather than making up pish!

It's maybe just that I have become used to the Racing forum on CC attracting people who know a bit about Pro Racing - not the most in-depth minute detail, but certainly enthusiasm for the sport - and that the influx of nobbers has resluted in this being thrown off kilter.

As for moderation of the posts, then I reckon that it would be an almost fulltime job! And result in numerous complaints or crying "foul".

So my position remains unchanged. We need to grow up collectively or expect threads to close. I include myself in this!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
I have to say, whoever first said "Ignorance is bliss" couldn't have perceived how blissful the ignore button is.
I do think people should self moderate as well and the ignore button is a useful part of it.
I had the two prime offenders on 'Ignore' from quite early on, when it became clear they had nothing to contribute other than tedious pedantry and nit-picking. That said, you can't just Ignore everyone with a contrary opinion and on a long thread it's inevitable that people will post without reading the whole thing, hence you get these repetitive arguments. Mind you, my rule when reading The Clinic is that any thread over 100 posts is probably going to contain more heat than light.

Cheddar George

oober member
Whilst I agree with the "if you don't like a thread, then don't go back" sentiment, I am actually interested in the thread subject matter - the systematic doping and trafficking of banned products by Lance Armstrong and others. There were others on the thread with no interest at all, and who dragged it down into the mire of trolldom. Rather than ignoring them, people got into pedantic nobbery and spoiled what should have been a good thread. I expect people to know a bit about the subject matter or state they want clarification on matters, rather than making up pish!

It's maybe just that I have become used to the Racing forum on CC attracting people who know a bit about Pro Racing - not the most in-depth minute detail, but certainly enthusiasm for the sport - and that the influx of nobbers has resluted in this being thrown off kilter.

As for moderation of the posts, then I reckon that it would be an almost fulltime job! And result in numerous complaints or crying "foul".

So my position remains unchanged. We need to grow up collectively or expect threads to close. I include myself in this!

Yes it is disappointing when a thread that should inspire a good "questiontime" style debate turns into "Jerry Springer", but it is not a good enough single reason to close it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know - I was just using it as an example. Two poor moderating decisions within a few days (you could argue there was a pattern forming) - and no word from the man on high, despite an effort to contact him directly - that's all I'm saying.
Shaun may be on holiday or doing other stuff. He might even be working. I certainly don't pay him to offer 24/7 support. :hello:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Hmmm, I do agree with your sentiments Noodley but I think you're getting yourself worked up about something that wouldn't normally bother you. I reckon this is because attitudes and styles have invaded a corner of the net you'd normally expect to be free of them. Elsewhere it would be water off a ducks back - clearly it doesn't bother me in this instance but I feel exactly as you do when I think the wrong sort of posting is happening in Know How - so who am I to say.

Once upon a time I prided myself on never having used an ignore function on the internet. I've now decided that was a sacrifice that only mattered to me and the hassle wasn't worth it for that little bit of pride.

However I do try not to use the mod/reporting facility, can't actually remember if I've ever used it at all on here. Partly I think because I imagine it would be habit forming :whistle:

well, someone's been using his account regularly since Monday - the 'mystery user' was even online earlier this morning....
Really, Shaun's a good bloke and this forum is as good as it is because of him. You're aiming your ire in the wrong place.

I disagree with closing the thread as I've already said. Again, at the risk of repeating myself, it's easy to see which posters are responsible for the descent of a thread and I'm not just talking about this one. Hit those posters with bans, simple. Nothing else will work.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Black'nYellow - it would be helpful to those of us with a legitimate complaint about the closure of the Armstrong thread and with constructive views on how it could have been handled better, if you could go and start a thread elsewhere about your grievance. To be honest, you whingeing about the Mods, and Shaun in particular, is something I suspect none of us would like to be associated with.

Black'nYellow - it would be helpful to those of us with a legitimate complaint about the closure of the Armstrong thread and with constructive views on how it could have been handled better, if you could go and start a thread elsewhere about your grievance. To be honest, you whingeing about the Mods, and Shaun in particular, is something I suspect none of us would like to be associated with.

I messaged him - he didn't reply. No whingeing, just a simple statement of fact. I'm sure Shaun is a wonderful human being - but it doesn't alter the facts in this case. As for the thread closure, I have already expressed 'constructive' views on the matter. But I'll leave you all to it now...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I messaged him - he didn't reply. No whingeing, just a simple statement of fact. I'm sure Shaun is a wonderful human being - but it doesn't alter the facts in this case. As for the thread closure, I have already expressed 'constructive' views on the matter. But I'll leave you all to it now...
Thank you.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
for me the thread was an education, and I found my outlook on Armstrong shifting bit by bit

e-rider

crappy member
in all walks of life there are idiots, and CC is no exception - locking the thread was a bad decision
what is needed on CC, is a policy of removing 'repeat offenders' who take pleasure out of trolling threads and argue just for the sake of it
we all know who they are so just get rid

Noodley

I'd be happy if the main trolling idiots were banned and the thread was re-instated.

I've always been an advocate of imposing bans where required. :boxing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom