The art of cycling commentary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very much enjoying the great pairing of Kirby and Stephens at the Tour of Valencia just now, both as daft as each other :smile:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Very much enjoying the great pairing of Kirby and Stephens at the Tour of Valencia just now, both as daft as each other :smile:
You do get a sense of madness from them, I know CK isn't everyone's cup of tea but you only have to listen to other sports commentators esp Sky and BT's footy ones to see he isn't that bad...It must be hard filling in all the dead time esp on a flat stage ..

I remember listening to Ligget's famous Roche line in the days when Channel 4 were the ones who broadcast the tour. It did actually bring out goosebumps, seeing Roche emerging out the mist as Ligget hoarsely delivered his commentary. Innocent days.

blackgoff

I personally loved David Duffield - I soo liked the the way he'd talk about stuff other than the racing. He was soo professional, like we could see what was happening - he just mentioned the important bits..lol

Tho I like Carlton Kirby too as he gets excited like a fan does.. in fact I had to leave the room once as I nearly has heart palpitations as I was getting soo excited... lolz..

Not the best fan of Liggett & Sherwen..he's oiled his wrag with the Armstrong affair imo ;/

Newman8

Love Carlton Kirby's commentary - he's a gem - a pleasure to listen to - he animates the race rather than describes it, but you only realise how good he is when you listen to almost any other commentator fumbling around for names & stats & not managing anything other than telling you what you can see anyway.
Kirby always brings the best out of Kelly too & it's even better with Jonno's cultural references, landmarks & recipes thrown in.

he isn't that bad....

Oh yes he is,he's known as "The Cock" in our household^_^ The other half frequently says 'what's he jabbering on about now?' and also I'm not sure he brings the best out of Kelly either,I always get the impression that most of the time SK is just humouring him.

First came across Kirby a few tears ago when he used to stand in foe Superbike and Motogp races,hard to believe but he was even more annoying doing that.

Best pairing at the moment is Millar and Boulting on ITV,Boulting does the Joe Punter side well while Millar comes out some good 'insider' nuggets;plenty of scope for those two as well considering they only started last year.

Oh and if Kirby says 'plying his trade' one more time.....:gun:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Remember that episode of Father Ted when they were trapped in the lingerie department, and Ted called for the Priest With The Most Boring Voice? That's Sean Kelly.

I do like Millar and Boulting. However I expect that I will soon get to hate them.

Commentating on road racing a thankless task, as nothing much is happening for long periods, and the viewer can concentrate fully on picking up the commentator's malapropisms, rider misidentifications, Colemanballs, clichés and trademark phrases, and sneering at the bits of travelogue description that they read out.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Oh yes he is,he's known as "The Cock" in our household^_^ The other half frequently says 'what's he jabbering on about now?' and also I'm not sure he brings the best out of Kelly either,I always get the impression that most of the time SK is just humouring him.

First came across Kirby a few tears ago when he used to stand in foe Superbike and Motogp races,hard to believe but he was even more annoying doing that.

Best pairing at the moment is Millar and Boulting on ITV,Boulting does the Joe Punter side well while Millar comes out some good 'insider' nuggets;plenty of scope for those two as well considering they only started last year.

Oh and if Kirby says 'plying his trade' one more time.....:gun:
I'm just used to rantings and commentary style of CK..
It's the off the wall stuff I prefer,
easy listening is what I'd call it..
I watch everything that is on, I'll not change channel just to avoid anyone although...
agree to say, disagree eh?:okay:

now if it was the 'Forehead Massive' (ant and dec)....:headshake:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Whether or not Kirby is a nice bloke, makes silly jokes and helps old ladies over the road is irrelevant. He knows three parts of feck all about cycling which is a pre-requisite for a commentator.
Robbie Hatch is good, witty, knowledgeable and good at rider recognition. Declan Quigley is improving, as is Matt Stephens.
Liggett and Kirby couldn't recognise a rider if their lives depended on it. And as for that automaton Sherwen...

Liggett and Kirby couldn't recognise a rider if their lives depended on it.
Do you know what; Liggett can, I've heard him do it and then recite their background and promise from an early age. Quite why he can't do this on the Tour is a little beyond me. Perhaps he's delivering to multiple channels and being put off by Sherwin reading the wrong Château description out or something.

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Carlton Kirby has a friendly and informal style, but sometimes sounds like a bloke talking to himself whilst looking for a parking spot in a car park.
Matt Stephens is good as a summariser but commentates like someone giving a powerpoint presentation.
Rob Hatch is very good (linguistic gymnastics and all), as is Declan Quigley.
The Glimmer Twins (Phil n Paul) get my goat. In their defence, their commentaries are carried on several worldwide networks simultaneously and I think they have that in mind. Unfortunately it makes it sound like Noddy Watches Cycling.
Simon Brotherton is very good, very professional.
Ned Boulting is not bad.

Of the analysts, David Millar is ace. His knowledge and insight coming fresh from the pro peleton is fantastic. It's almost like he's divulging state secrets. I only wish Eurosport would poach him.
Sean Kelly is Sean Kelly is Sean Kelly. For a guy who's done so much I expect a bit more insight from him but old dogs etc etc.

blackgoff

Theirs 1 Eurosport commentator who pronouncers foreign riders names in a foreign dialect which they are and it drives me crazy..

Ok I guess that's correct cept for the fact he's talking English.

I've never heard a French commentator pronounce Wiggins in a Lancashire accent for example lolz

Top Bottom