The Ashes - 2010/11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some batsmen scored almost exclusively in boundaries! Inzamam and King Viv are two that spring to mind - albeit for vastly different reasons!:biggrin:

Ah - those were the days, when one used to look forward to the West Indies games, when the ball left the grass and entered roads at various grounds in the UK...Get one out, another comes along, Collis King, Malcolm Marshall (an exceptional all-rounder RIP), Big Clive, Gordon Greenidge, Des Haynes, Sir Garfield...ahh, memory lane!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Nicely written article on the Australian travails here.
that's a very telling article. When you are up against it, the least you can do is try, try and try. Look at Stoke City - a football club clearly not overblessed in the skills department - and see how they carve out results by simply not giving up (see also, by way of contrast, Liverpool, West Ham and Aston Villa). Australia's running between the wickets was woeful, and their fielding wasn't anywhere near as good as Englands - not least because Ponting let the field be for overs at a time, while Strauss and the England bowlers were continually moving about, keeping the pressure on and convincing themselves that something was going to happen (which it did). England have a had a good attitude in the field for decades, even when they've been pants with bat and ball.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ah - those were the days, when one used to look forward to the West Indies games, when the ball left the grass and entered roads at various grounds in the UK...Get one out, another comes along, Collis King, Malcolm Marshall (an exceptional all-rounder RIP), Big Clive, Gordon Greenidge, Des Haynes, Sir Garfield...ahh, memory lane!
Some of us can remember Wesley Hall and Rohan Kanhai.....

Of course, RichP is right about His Vivship. Running was just a little beneath him. His progress between wickets was a kind of cricketing catwalk - a mixture of grace and condescension. But, then again, he didn't bloody need to run! And, when the Windies fell on hard times, they regained the art of scampering (Lara aside).

http://uk.video.sear...tnr=21&y=Search enjoy - a youthful Richards striking the ball as no other... and at 4:30 he saunters a four...

Some of us can remember Wesley Hall and Rohan Kanhai.....

Of course, RichP is right about His Vivship. Running was just a little beneath him. His progress between wickets was a kind of cricketing catwalk - a mixture of grace and condescension. But, then again, he didn't bloody need to run! And, when the Windies fell on hard times, they regained the art of scampering (Lara aside).

http://uk.video.sear...tnr=21&y=Search enjoy - a youthful Richards striking the ball as no other... and at 4:30 he saunters a four...
Top man. When I went to Barbados to play cricket, he was there at times, with Gary Sobers and Charlie Griffiths. Had a good night out with Sobers at The Carribean Pepperpot - basically because he was a god and all banana daquiris were free...(And I thought it was me :rolleyes:) Total pleasure, and the 'threat' to Carribean cricket of basketball (which was the enticement of the day) was in its infancy.

I think a CycleChat 20/20 outing to Lords or Hove should be arranged - (sod Chelmsford & Canterbury :smile: ) to celebrate the new phoenix of Australia, that might emerge from the Ashes...:rofl:

This chat also reminds me of one of my treasured records King Short Shirt and 'Tourist Leggo' All good stuff, but he wrote a ditty about Viv, which I tracked down and is here. Great to sing along to...(Tourist Leggo was the other track which played constantly.) :becool:

Usual mistake in writing: 'Ghetto Vibes' is the album and 'Tourist Leggo (ver)' another track. :rolleyes: (Note to self - read posts before postin gthe m )

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A pleasure to see those vids, Dell, of King Viv with his mixture of grace and brutality.

Nice song too, Ape. Brings a drop of sunshine to a dreary, wet winter's day.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
I'm up for a Saturday and/or Sunday in and around the south of England for a weekend of beer, cricket and correctly naming cricketers of the byegone age! ;)

With apologies to Bjørge Lillelien:

Don Bradman ! Jason Donovan ! Rolf Harris ! Dame Edna ! Ned Kelly ! Evonne Goolagong ! Kylie Minogue ! Crocodile Dundee ! Olivia Newton John ! Lou Carpenter ! Skippy ! ...Your boys took a hell of a beating!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
With apologies to Bjørge Lillelien:

Don Bradman ! Jason Donovan ! Rolf Harris ! Dame Edna ! Ned Kelly ! Evonne Goolagong ! Kylie Minogue ! Crocodile Dundee ! Olivia Newton John ! Lou Carpenter ! Skippy ! ...Your boys took a hell of a beating!!!
briliant!

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Dell! I loved those clips of the Master Blaster! I could watch them forever!

My favourite Viv shot (and there were MANY) has to be his four off Mike Hendricks; it was the WI's last ball of the innings in the WC final and he just disdainfully turned 90 degrees at the crease and lifted the ball, on the full, straight over square leg for a six!

Here it is, right at the end:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwbcgArJ4w

Can we add people?

If so I would like to nominate Germaine Greer, Clive James, and Norman Gunston. Additionally if we have Dame Edna, we ought to have Sir Les.

Of course - we may get an Australian 'A' side

Errol Flynn, Lord Hawke, Rupert Murdoch, Dame Nellie Melba, Robin Gibb, Waltzing Matilda, Michael Hutchence, Julian Assange, Pat Cash, Capt Cook, Mrs Mangel...

Top Bottom