The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its the Russian roulette of the toss I find interesting - win toss win match (assuming the wrong option is not chosen :smile:) - as a measure of this England team I would like to see Aussies bowling first at the Oval

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
as a measure of this England team I would like to see Aussies bowling first at the Oval

I have a feeling that will happen: England will bat first on winning the toss and the Aussies will bowl first.

I think.

U

User482

Its the Russian roulette of the toss I find interesting - win toss win match (assuming the wrong option is not chosen :smile:) - as a measure of this England team I would like to see Aussies bowling first at the Oval

Maybe, but in three of the four matches, the team winning the toss has batted first.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yup that is the conventional wisdom - win toss - bat first - that is why with all the chat being about sporting pitches I find it interesting :smile:

Not so sure that the pitches are "sporting".

History tells the story. Only once in the past twenty years has there been an away Ashes victory. It seems that the pitches being prepared are so one-sided to suit the home side that there is a failure to provide for a truly competitive series.

Time for some independent body overseeing the preparation of test pitches. Otherwise we'll just get green seamers in England and rock hard pitches in Australia. Not having a proper contest is not beneficial to England v Australia cricket in the long term (not for any other test pairings)

Not so sure that the pitches are "sporting"

I think that the pitches apart from Lords have been amenable to good seam bowling on both sides - Aussie batsmen have not been able to adapt to the seaming ball - Aussie bowlers when they have got it right have shown that they are capable of worrying the English batmen - just not done it consistently

History tells the story. Only once in the past twenty years has there been an away Ashes victory. It seems that the pitches being prepared are so one-sided to suit the home side that there is a failure to provide for a truly competitive series.

True - But England in form of Cook and Trott and a few others in the odd series out scored a hatful of runs on fast bouncy pitches - got to learn to play on all surfaces - it is what makes it such an interesting game.

Time for some independent body overseeing the preparation of test pitches. Otherwise we'll just get green seamers in England and rock hard pitches in Australia. Not having a proper contest is not beneficial to England v Australia cricket in the long term (not for any other test pairings)

Hard bouncy pitches have probably been the staple since the beginning of time n Australia - Green seamers in England has been pretty much the standard ever since covered pitches made their appearance -probably why there is a dearth of good english spinners - even in the last home series Swann didn't really start to come into his own until the second innings - And if some sort of homogenised world pitch could be conjured up - climate to some extent governs the pitches that are served up - and what would they go for ?- bound to be somebody the "standard pitch" benefited - Myself I think it is the skill levels of the protagonists that needs addressing

Wafer

Veteran
History tells the story. Only once in the past twenty years has there been an away Ashes victory.

I've heard this elsewhere recently but I don't know where it comes from. Before 2005 we hadn't won one for ages and since then we've won it once away. Including the 94/95 series there have been 12 series, 3 have been won away but we didn't win any for the first 10 years of that....

U

User482

Yup that is the conventional wisdom - win toss - bat first - that is why with all the chat being about sporting pitches I find it interesting :smile:
Clearly, the captains haven't considered the pitches to be unplayable green tops. Anyway, I much prefer a low scoring match to a Chief Executive pleasing bore draw.

It is Thursday - it is the Oval – It is the final Ashes Test – England lead 3-1 in the series

Today will be a good test of where this England team is – The Aussies should be up for it – assuming that they have not already had their brains fried by Aussie press declaring “Green Top Pitch Monster at Oval”

The England bowlers need to keep on doing what they have been doing – bowling good lengths and line – Fielders need to keep taking the catches – need to keep their foot on the gas – Batting wise I think all the top 3 need a score – Cook because he needs to reassert the authority of his batting – Bell because he just has not made the runs that are expected of him – and Lyth because apart from his knock against the Kiwis he just has not looked the part of an England opener

Having got the Aussies down they need to show that they have the mentality to keep the pressure on and kick them on the floor – England have not won three on the bounce for quite a while (last two successive wins are first in over a year) - England if they win can go second in the ranking and send out a message to the South Africans that they are a team not to be taken lightly

England win toss and will bowl :smile:

As does/did Siddle, but they decided against using him when it mattered. On previous Ashes tour to England, Siddle had been a real threat.

Looks like they agree with you - England unchanged - Siddle in for Hazelwood, Marsh in for Marsh

Looking like a good toss to lose.
Aussies 130 for 1.

Yup- I heard Stewart say that it was a good batting pitch before the start - contrary to the green pitch monster that had been touted - It was almost tho that Cook chose in a negative way - sort of to deprive the Aussies of a moving ball should they have bowled - nonetheless some good bowling early on by England with the new ball - but Aussies played very well in "Test mode"

Final Ashes Test – 2nd Day – Aussies 287 for 3

A very test match sort of day – Early doors the pitch was not the green monster that it was touted to be - England bowled well with the new ball without success – The Aussies, Rogers 43, Warner 85, Smith 87* Voges 47* batted patiently, left the good ones alone and took their runs when they were there – Clarke 15 was welcomed to the crease by the mass ranks of the England side but did not stay long. Even the weather was test matchy with play stopping due to rain late in the evening session.

England have another new ball about two minutes into this morning – need to get rid of the present incumbents’ soonish!

Top Bottom