The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Nope - it seems to have become part of modern test cricket - but apart from the loss of runs - it allowed Johnson carte blanche to work Root over
I'm a bit cross about this. Though... tbf we were watching the higlights last night and Broad had a no-ball which wasn't called either. Is it just when a wicket is taken that they bother? Well they should abide by the LAWS, dammit! Also that string of dot balls would have been reduced considerably.

Ganymede

Veteran
Cripes I've been away from the computer for half an hour and now look at what's happening... 85-6!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm a bit cross about this. Though... tbf we were watching the higlights last night and Broad had a no-ball which wasn't called either. Is it just when a wicket is taken that they bother? Well they should abide by the LAWS, dammit! Also that string of dot balls would have been reduced considerably.
They really need to look at this again. On field umpires don't look anymore and ask for a review after a wicket. Nonsense. The third umpire could call it if - it's not as if he's got anything else to do for 95% of the time.

Crap series really if you look at it analytically - even though we've won the Ashes. South Africa could be a stern (or Steyn) test.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hmm, Lyth proving very little in his favour again today (though agree he's good in the slips, it's not really enough). I shan't mind too much if he's dropped cos I can never remember if it's pronounced Lith or Lithe.

As he and I share the same surname I can categorically state it is "Lithe". It's a Scandinavian name and thus not uncommon in places like Whitby (where he hails from) being a first port of call for the marauding hordes

I think this game goes to show how fine the margins are in sport. Anyone who's played competitive sport knows how hard it is to keep focused when you've already won. Feels like its a combination of two things:

England have lost the last 5% of their performance because they have the series in the bag

Australia, having lost the series, have no pressure of expectation and as such somehow find the last 5% they've been missing thus far

even though we've won the Ashes. South Africa could be a stern (or Steyn) test.

Oh cheer up you miserable old sod. We've just won the Ashes:okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hands up who's surprised by this latest fiasco. I said to a friend t'other day that I thought it quite likely England would snatch one final defeat from the very jaws of victory. Once 'the job is done', they so often seem to take their foot off the gas. Unlike the Aussies who, in the same situation, would be absolutely ruthless, grinding faces in the dust, cackling the while like silent movie villains. Oh well, at least the final act shouldn't take too long.

(Then again, I pretty much wrote England off after Lords, so what the frog do I know?)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So, the follow on is the most likely option under normal test cricket rules. I wonder though whether, having lost the series already, the onus might be on getting in a bit of batting practice under test conditions and building a monstrous lead with a fair chance of bowling England out a second time cheaply . A massively decisive Aussie victory now would help redeem their performance in this season.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
As a final opportunity to humiliate England completely (with regard to this Test, not the series, obviously), if I where Michael Clarke, in his final Test as captain and player, I'd bat again and score as many runs as possible as quickly as possible (maybe setting England a massive total to chase (700+), knowing that England WILL capitulate again, thereby giving Australia one of the greatest winning margins in Test cricket history.

At present, England (surprisingly) have the highest winning margin: beating, Australia by 675 runs in Brisbane in 1928-29.

Top Bottom