The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Did anyone catch the amusing interchange on TMS yesterday morning re Aggers' tube travel?
They ended up getting a tube station Ashes cricket team, such as Tuffnell Park, Burnt Ash, High Barnet (Michael Vaughan!) etc.
Pleased me anyway!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And they didn't combine to get more than 49 in the 2nd innings. Goodbye to you three! Lyth and Bairstow are NOT good enough: Bell's end has come.

Not very helpful saying players aren't good enough without suggesting alternative selection.

Lyth I think will not make the next series and they'll bring in someone like Compton (if they can swallow their pride having dropped him before). I doubt Ali will open. Bairstow will remain in the team. He's only had a couple of games, did OK in the 4th test and his form is excellent. Again, to drop him smacks of panic (when there is absolutely no need for it) and there isn't a better option out there. Bell is, I think, safe for the next series. More on the basis of nobody better out there rather than stellar performances in this series.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Not living in England and not having daily exposure to all types of 1st class cricket makes it difficult to know who's hot and who's not, but I'll give you three names to replace (for the next two series against Pakistan and South Africa) the above mentioned failures.

Alex Hales in for Lyth.
James Taylor in for Bairstow
Gary Ballance in for Bell. KP is an option, but the powers that be - Strauss - means he will never play for England again.

Lyth and Bairstow undeniably have form in county cricket don't have the technique nor application needed at Test level).

Lyth - opening batsman: 6 Tests, average 21.45
Bairstow - lower middle order batsman: 16 Tests, average 28

Simply, it's not good enough.

England 203 for 6 trail Australia by 129 having followed on

Another not very good day for England – some pretty poor batting in the second innings – Aussies bowlers tho stuck to their plans – they bowled a lot of good balls without luck, however, the England batsmen to some extent contributed to their own demise – poor when the highlight of the innings is a good fighting rear guard 85 by Cook

The only question left is will the weather come to Englands rescue – looking at the forecast probably not

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The forecast yesterday was for rain mid-afternoon. But it feels like it might come any minute now. Not a rain stopped play all day kind of rain, but I expect showers may force a number of stoppages throughout the day.

Ganymede

Veteran
The forecast yesterday was for rain mid-afternoon. But it feels like it might come any minute now. Not a rain stopped play all day kind of rain, but I expect showers may force a number of stoppages throughout the day.
It's raining here in west Kent. Satellite pic: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Not a good way to avoid losing a Test Match though is it. We should lose by rights - a draw would be really robbing the Aussies.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's raining here in west Kent. Satellite pic: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Not a good way to avoid losing a Test Match though is it. We should lose by rights - a draw would be really robbing the Aussies.
No, not at all a good way but I don't think it's going to be heavy enough to affect the result today....

20150823_121148.jpg

Ganymede

Veteran
Oh well.

I'm making some jam instead. Good time to do it when it's raining, as the wasps all hide.

Mr G is pleased the rain might be over by 2 as he wants to play this pm in the village friendly - however, they don't have a covered pitch so he still might not get a game. It is splodging it down here, very wet.

Top Bottom