The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
no photo's as you need to eat them quickly :laugh: but I did flamme kuche last night, and used a liberal dusting of semolina the underside of the base, which worked really really well, stops the buggers sticking to what ever you prep them on and leaves them crispier than just "more flour". Would work a treat on pizza's too.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
no photo's as you need to eat them quickly :laugh: but I did flamme kuche last night, and used a liberal dusting of semolina the underside of the base, which worked really really well, stops the buggers sticking to what ever you prep them on and leaves them crispier than just "more flour". Would work a treat on pizza's too.

I’ve never heard of those, so I had to google the term.

Can you recommend a recipe?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
One of a pair of multiseed bloomers that I made yesterday..

20230903_152757 1.jpeg

Tom B

Guru
The former. The latter's not worth bothering with... :tongue:

Having said that, I'm talking about the "Redmere Farms" branded garlic from Tesco, the ones that come in a pack of 4. They're not the biggest, so I'd guess it translates into about five cloves or so. Thing with garlic though, is the longer you cook it, the sweeter it gets.

Agreed, I often buy a bunch of garlic bulbs when they're on super 6 or reduced. Cook the entire bulbs in the oven until soft and squishy (usually when cooking a roast or something) and then chop the tops off the bulbs, squeeze out the inners into a silicone ice cube tray. Once they're frozen I pop them out into a bag. They're lovely and sweet and ideal for sauces etc.

I’ve never heard of those, so I had to google the term.

Can you recommend a recipe?

Likewise, they're on the menu for next weekend. It will also force me to clean the oven before hand too. Its pretty smoky and stinky at the top end at the moment.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The dough I can do. What I cant seem to get is the tomato pizza base sauce..... Its either too harsh or over complicated...

What's yours?

My Effort
View attachment 692133

I use the best quality tomato purée. It’s quick and easy and there is no moisture to make a soggy base.

figbat

Slippery scientist
FWIW I reduce down a tin of chopped toms, with the oil from the anchovies and the whey from the 2 packs of mozerella. Little bit of seasoning.

I simply crush some tinned tomatoes, with a brief whizz to get rid of the bigger lumps. I’ll strain off the juice before crushing. I add a splash of olive oil, a pinch of salt an sugar and maybe a few basil leaves. I’ll be sparing with how much goes on the base although Neopolitan pizzas do have a fairly soggy base.

The mozzarella can be more of an issue as it bleeds fluid when cooked - I’ll tear it up and press between sheets of kitchen roll before adding to the pizza, which is done near the end of cooking to prevent browning it (since I use a home oven that takes a few minutes to do the pizza). The basil leaves go on as the pizza comes out.

Top Bottom