The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I haven’t done a pizza dough for a while but seem to have retained the knack. One with cheese & tomato, one with added ham and the other a garlic pizza using the spare dough. All done in a conventional oven at its hottest setting.
View attachment 692108

The dough I can do. What I cant seem to get is the tomato pizza base sauce..... Its either too harsh or over complicated...

What's yours?

My Effort
1685397484549.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
The dough I can do. What I cant seem to get is the tomato pizza base sauce..... Its either too harsh or over complicated...

What's yours?

My Effort
View attachment 692133

Mine was a tin of Mutti tomato polpa, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of dried basil (I had no fresh) and a small splash of olive oil. Pizza sauce doesn’t need to be much more than just crushed tomatoes.

I just make a classic Sicilian-style* marinara, whereby I simmer chopped tinned tomatoes with a finely chopped onion, about half a bulb of garlic, a bay leaf, some finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and glugette of olive oil. The long simmer drives off some of the moisture, intensifying the flavour.

This is really good to do if you've an excess of cherry or vine-ripened tomatoes.

Great for pizza, pasta, meatballs and the like.

* Got taught this at uni by a chap I shared some lectures with (I was Mech Eng, he was Materials Science) who was half Sicilian, half Irish. He was a bit odd, but bloody hell, he could cook...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I made butter the other day from some expired cream I had. I thought it would be a good idea to use it in a garlic bread so I made this (from Jack Sturgess’s book) and it’s a belter!

This is two loaves and I had intended on giving one to our neighbour. It didn’t make it. :shy:

20230723_180619.jpeg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I made a Japanese milk loaf yesterday. I’ve used the tangzhong method before and had forgotten how easy it is and what a difference it makes to the bread.

Once again, I used a Jack Sturgess recipe and got a perfect result. (Scroll down to the second recipe.)

It’s so soft, with a crumb and flavour that’s a little bit like brioche. I’m going to make it again, as rolls, for burgers this weekend. 😋

20230816_075550.jpeg

20230816_132811.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I just make a classic Sicilian-style* marinara, whereby I simmer chopped tinned tomatoes with a finely chopped onion, about half a bulb of garlic, a bay leaf, some finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and glugette of olive oil. The long simmer drives off some of the moisture, intensifying the flavour.

This is really good to do if you've an excess of cherry or vine-ripened tomatoes.

Great for pizza, pasta, meatballs and the like.

* Got taught this at uni by a chap I shared some lectures with (I was Mech Eng, he was Materials Science) who was half Sicilian, half Irish. He was a bit odd, but bloody hell, he could cook...

half a bulb or half a clove? one seems a lot one seems too little?

half a bulb or half a clove? one seems a lot one seems too little?

The former. The latter's not worth bothering with... :tongue:

Having said that, I'm talking about the "Redmere Farms" branded garlic from Tesco, the ones that come in a pack of 4. They're not the biggest, so I'd guess it translates into about five cloves or so. Thing with garlic though, is the longer you cook it, the sweeter it gets.

Top Bottom