The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Always Cross

This is what my starter looked like on Friday evening before I baked with it . It’s fairly runny, sometimes I have it dryer.

F9E4935E-2548-4671-964A-A50201A58D6F.png

Always Cross

Veteran
That looks good and lively where do you keep it mine lives in the fridge. I only use it now and again. What quantities do you feed. Not as bad as the last time none in the bowl this time

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
That looks good and lively where do you keep it mine lives in the fridge. I only use it now and again. What quantities do you feed.

It used to live in the fridge but it got in the way of other things.

It then moved to a cupboard but out of sight was out of mind. It developed black ‘hooch’ as I’ve heard it called, and it would stink like vinegar as it was starving.

It now resides on the worktop by the toaster!

I do it by eye. I give it maybe a couple of tablespoons of flour and whatever amount of water. Then on a Thursday night I’ll give it maybe 3 tablespoons and some water, the same Friday morning, then use it Friday evening to bake on Saturday morning.

It did go all odd on me last weekend and didn’t really rise. I’d run out of rye flour. I bought some on Sunday and it been perky ever since.

I‘m not great at being bothered to measure stuff, until it comes to the actual dough mixing.

I seem to have hit upon my own technique after following all sorts, with varying degrees of success!

Always Cross

Veteran
That looks a lovely shape I’ve tried so many times but I can’t seem to get it tight enough it always goes flat on me, I’ve given up on them and always make tin loaves now

robjh

Legendary Member
That looks a lovely shape I’ve tried so many times but I can’t seem to get it tight enough it always goes flat on me, I’ve given up on them and always make tin loaves now

The rye and the sourdough make a pretty dense dough that rises very slowly, and keeps its shape well. This was one of my better-looking ones after baking too as they sometimes split at the base and rise wedge-shaped to one side, but this one just expanded across the cut lines as I'd hoped, and still emerged looking nice and round.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One I made last week - before and after baking. It's a sourdough with a mix of rye and wholemeal wheat flour, probably about 40%:60% but I don't measure.
View attachment 681428

View attachment 681429

super looking loaf, better than a lot of "professionals" Do you have a gadget to get the flour rings so perfect on top?

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was a present so I really don't know, but knowing the person who got it for me, probably from Amazon! I can see a few on line that look just like it.

Yeah - a Google for "bread proving basket" will yield a load of results - eg Lakeland do one.

On the rise/split - it continues to surprise me just how deep a cut you need to allow for a good rise without splitting the sides.

Always Cross

Veteran
I use a lot of bread and find it easier to make it in a tin as it is a good fit for my sandwich box and toaster. After I retire I think I’ll never make tin bread again and just use round loaves I get sick of sandwiches. I get quite I bit of stuff from Bakery Bits.

Top Bottom