The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
40cm long 15cm x 15cm it’s huge. It’s from Bakery Bits Pullman Pan 15 x 15

Well ruffle my hair and call me Frankie, that’s a huge pan!

Given that it’s simply twice the length of a standard pan, I’d be happy to bake a loaf in it for the same length of time as a normal one, i.e. 30-35 minutes (or longer if you prefer a darker finish).

Photos of the finished result are obligatory.

C R

Guru
Banana bread. The mix ended more moist than I expected, and it didn't cook fully, but tastes nice, and I'm expecting that it will be all gone by the end of breakfast tomorrow.
20230125_210905.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ummm, leftover cheese? What's that? :scratch:

Actually, that looks rather lovely @CanucksTraveller - would be lovely buttered, served on the side of a nice bowl of soup. :hungry:

Market stall in Birmingham City Centre sells "leftover cheese". Bought about 400g of Cambozola cheese for £1. It is falling apart (had a cheese explosion trying to get it out of the fridge), and is no use for a cheese board (not that I would put it on one anyway), but full of flavour and very useful for baking, soups, or even sandwiches at a push.

Market stall in Birmingham City Centre sells "leftover cheese". Bought about 400g of Cambozola cheese for £1. It is falling apart (had a cheese explosion trying to get it out of the fridge), and is no use for a cheese board (not that I would put it on one anyway), but full of flavour and very useful for baking, soups, or even sandwiches at a push.

Sounds like it was just perfectly ripe :biggrin:

Good for dunking crackers in. :hungry:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Seen them in Lakeland not sure I’d get on with one. Iether the kenwood take the strain or I llve using my grandmother bowl too much.

I’ve got one and have used it maybe three times in 4 years. The idea seemed good; a single utensil in which you could mix, knead and bake your dough but it’s not as easy as they suggest.

I found it cumbersome and restrictive at the first two stages, and I’m not a fan of the loaf shape at the end either.

Julia9054

Guru
I’ve got one and have used it maybe three times in 4 years. The idea seemed good; a single utensil in which you could mix, knead and bake your dough but it’s not as easy as they suggest.

I found it cumbersome and restrictive at the first two stages, and I’m not a fan of the loaf shape at the end either.

I agree. Mever got on with the mixing and kneeding bit.
I mix in my Bosch, kneed by hand (I like that part), then bung the dough in my lekue with a shower cap on top for proving. If I'm making a loaf, I just clip the top and bake it in there. I like the loaf shape.
I mostly make buns though due to being the only person in the house that eats bread in any large quantities.

tom73

Guru

That's the other thing it never look all that practical.

Always Cross

Veteran
Just seen Dave 123 sourdough starter it’s very wet, it’s strange how different cultures do things differently. I have tried wet ones but never managed to get it to work well for me. I went to a local Italian baker he gave me a lump of his starter, he brought it with him when he came over from Italy 50yrs ago. It’s really stiff just like the Bigga dough they make for ciabatta, I keep 100g of it in the fridge take it out the night before feed it 60g water and 120 flour mix it all in leave it over night. Next morning I take 100g back to the fridge and use the rest. I’ve had it alive for around 8 years. This is mine I’ve just fed it ready to bake tomorrow.

9C2F58AC-289D-4460-AEBE-2402403098E6.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’ve had a couple of sourdough starters but they become like Audrey II with me as Seymour. They eventually went off when overlooked for a while so now I use a low year, long prove method which produces similar (but not the same) results.

Always Cross

Veteran
Mine has been left neglected in the fridge for a month it needed feeding twice to liven it up before I could bake with it. Do mean low yeast long prove?

Julia9054

Guru
I’ve had a couple of sourdough starters but they become like Audrey II with me as Seymour. They eventually went off when overlooked for a while so now I use a low year, long prove method which produces similar (but not the same) results.

Mine went in the freezer before I went on holiday in the summer. I haven't taken it out. I feel . . . free of it's tyranny!
As a side note, nothing attracts drosophila like a ripe starter in tge corner of your kitchen.

Top Bottom