The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Nice baps!

Is there a link to a recipe please?

The recipe is from a book. Antediluvian, I know.
Try, this is from memory

650 grams flour
200 cl water
200 cl milk
150 grams grated cheddar, as strong as you can find
50 grams spring onions
salt
yeast
mustard powder

Mix it all together, knead for ten minutes, let rise about two hours

before baking, but after dividing into 12
brush with milk
50 grams grated cheddar sprinkled over the tops
let rise til doubled in size, about 30 minutes
bake at 220 for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Katherine

Guru
What a lovely thread and great ideas!

And now for a seasonal recipe - especially for those of you who like a wee bit of Lebkuchen. Runs rings around the shop bought varieties. From my 1930s Bavarian cook book and a must here for Xmas.

Honigleckerlei mit Punschglasur

100g honey
35g butter or margarine (softened)
125g brown sugar
1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon mixed spice (or lebkuchengewurtz if you can get it)
good grating of nutmeg
zest of half a lemon
75g ground almonds
100g chopped mixed peel (blitzed to a paste)
250g flour (sifted)
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
couple of tablespoons of milk

plus:

4 heaped tablespoons of icing sugar
lemon juice
rum or whisky
water

Gently warm the honey in a saucepan together with the spices until it is runny. Cream the butter and the sugar. Add in the honey, the lemon zest, ground almonds and the mixed peel. Last of all, add the flour a little at the time. The dough will be quite dry and breadcrumby at this stage. Knead well, adding just enough milk to bring it into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge overnight.

To make the biscuits, divide the dough into four portions. Roll each portion into a sausage between one and a half to two centimetres thick. Slice diagonally into individual portions about 3 cm long. Place on a greased baking sheet (or a use baking parchment on the sheet, makes life easier later). Continue until all the dough has been used up. You will get around 36 biscuits from this quantity. Bake in a preheated oven 180C / Gas 4 for 12 - 15 mins. Best to err on the side of caution here as you want them to be a very pale golden colour. Any darker than that and they'll be bitter.

For the punschglasur, take four heaped tablespoons of icing sugar and sift into a mug. Add two teaspoons of water, a teaspoon of whisky or rum and a teaspoon of lemon juice. You should have something that is the consistency of runny honey – you can always add more sugar or liquid accordingly. When the biscuits are done, take them out of the oven – if you have used baking parchment, you can just pull the paper off the tray with the biscuits still on them. If not, transfer to a wire rack with some kitchen roll underneath. While the biscuits are still warm, brush over the glaze (you will have enough for two coats) and leave to dry.

When cold, store in an airtight tin. These are best made several weeks in advance, but in reality, they never seem to last that long as they're pretty good from the get go.

Wow, they sound good. I'm going to try this.

The wife iced her Christmas cake this morning. She made it back at the end of October, has been feeding it with Remy Martin and she marzipaned it on Monday.
Looking forward to a slice or 3

View attachment 387948

Looks beautiful.

I have just put the marzipan on the cake that I made in May! (I made a square wedding cake but my daughter in law preferred a round one, so the original is now our Christmas cake.)
It's been well fed with brandy a few times.

The recipe is from a book. Antediluvian, I know.
Try, this is from memory

650 grams flour
200 cl water
200 cl milk
150 grams grated cheddar, as strong as you can find
50 grams spring onions
salt
yeast
mustard powder

Mix it all together, knead for ten minutes, let rise about two hours

before baking, but after dividing into 12
brush with milk
50 grams grated cheddar sprinkled over the tops
let rise til doubled in size, about 30 minutes
bake at 220 for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Thank you, I think Mr K will like these!

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you want to give your bread some oven spring, get yourself an off-cut of marble worktop. I was in my local salvage yard getting some slabs when I spotted a large broken piece of marble. I asked the guy how much it would be and he said I could have it for nothing! (If you look at baking stones on bakery websites, they charge £30-£40 for them.)

I trimmed it to fit my oven and cleaned it and now use it all the time. It makes a noticeable difference to the rise.

Before
stone_before.JPG

After

stone_after.JPG

I have a terracotta baking stone that I picked up on a jumble sale for 10p years ago.

However, my oven is vented, so I can't steam my bread. I have to bake under a cloche to stop getting wonky / burst loaves. A stock pot serves that purpose for large loaves or anything baked in a tin. Otherwise I have a chicken brick which is brilliant for smaller breads. I do the first 20 / 25 mins of the bake under the cloche and then whip the lid off.

Katherine

Guru
You won't be disappointed. :smile:

I have well over a hundred different recipes for Lebkuchen, but somehow I always end up sticking to my favourites. :blush: This year I made myself try a new recipe out of principle - with candied ginger and raisins.

Last week I made the recipe in the Sunday Times. Lovely flavour but they were quite biscuity.
IMG_20171222_170218.jpg

First batch without the marzipan centre.
IMG_20171222_164127.jpg

Second batch with the marzipan centre.
IMG_20171220_195432380.jpg

Last week I made the recipe in the Sunday Times. Lovely flavour but they were quite biscuity.
View attachment 388077

First batch without the marzipan centre.
View attachment 388078

Second batch with the marzipan centre. View attachment 388079

Ooo, those look good :hungry:

The recipe I posted gives you a soft, cakey texture, which is what you'd expect from Lebkuchen. :smile:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Welsh-Cakes (if it hasn't been posted already)

Add to a mixing bowl -
8oz of Plain flour
2oz of Caster Sugar
and mix well with a wooden spoon

Add 4oz of cooking margarine and rub until the consistency of breadcrumbs

(at this point you can add 4oz of currants too if that's how you like them - personally I don't)

Beat an egg with a teaspoon of milk and a pinch of salt

Add to the bowl, mix and then knead to a dough ball (gradually adding more flour - if you find the mixture too wet or sticky)

Roll out the mixture to about 8mm - 10mm thick and use a cutter to make discs

Use a bake-stone (or an old frying pan) on a moderate to high heat and cook on each side for about a minute each, being careful not to burn.

Additional
Rolling out the mixture a little thicker will create a doughy line through the middle of the Welsh-cake, making them easier to cut in half, should you want to use a filling like jam or lemon curd.

Another good trick (if you like peanuts) is to add 2oz of peanut butter the same time as the margarine.

robjh

Legendary Member
Three photos from my day :

the starter added to some white flour, pre-mixing
20171222 bread (2).jpg

starting to rise (with a spare bit on its own at the side)
20171222 bread (5).jpg

out of the oven. Slightly overcooked but crusty and good.
20171222 bread (6).jpg

There's no measuring of ingredients involved - it's a recipe I've been using in one form or another for years, and it makes bread I enjoy.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If you want to give your bread some oven spring, get yourself an off-cut of marble worktop. I was in my local salvage yard getting some slabs when I spotted a large broken piece of marble. I asked the guy how much it would be and he said I could have it for nothing! (If you look at baking stones on bakery websites, they charge £30-£40 for them.)

I trimmed it to fit my oven and cleaned it and now use it all the time. It makes a noticeable difference to the rise.

Before
View attachment 388051

After

View attachment 388052
I used a marble chopping board (from somewhere like Aldi or The Range) which I cut down and agree it does make a difference to the rise.

Recipe wise, I give you povitica (I hope the link works, I've never linked before)

This is fun to make, although a little tricky. The hard part is getting the filling and the dough thin enough. After spreading the dough as far as I can (which is nowhere near how far Hollywood gets it) I use clingfilm on top of the filling and use a rolling pin to spread out the filling and thin the dough further at the same time. The best bit is when it's cooked and the first time you cut it, there's a real ta-da moment when you see the inside and your guests swoon at your awesomeness (I may have made that bit up).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/povitica_92623

This was my first effort, I have since managed to get four proper swirls.
CIMG4472.JPG

Top Bottom