The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just checked and I don't have any tapioca flour. Is that easily available in supermarkets?

Old jon

Guru
In Leeds, tapioca flour is available at Out of This World on New Market Street. Tapioca pancakes are totally wondrous things . . .

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I always use the Be-ro recipe for my Christmas cake. This year I decided to follow a Hairy Bikers recipe for decoarting it. My attempt to brown the marzipan under the grill wasn't a success - I ended up with cooked marzipan stuck to the baking tray. But the orange slices came out ok.

2017-12-23 16.43.07.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The recipe is from a book. Antediluvian, I know.
Try, this is from memory

650 grams flour
200 cl water
200 cl milk
150 grams grated cheddar, as strong as you can find
50 grams spring onions
salt
yeast
mustard powder

Mix it all together, knead for ten minutes, let rise about two hours

before baking, but after dividing into 12
brush with milk
50 grams grated cheddar sprinkled over the tops
let rise til doubled in size, about 30 minutes
bake at 220 for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Ok, I changed the recipe a bit, smaller quants (as a first go), look pretty good though.

20171224_173030.jpg

Bless me, baker thread, for I have sinned

<skip the venial sins and straight to the mortal one>

I murdered my sour dough starter. This was during summer, I took it down to a friends hired cottage. I used it all in loaf, that was terrible because the timing went to hell, and it ended up over proven and dead. Really should have topped it up with more flour and let it prove again, but I didn't, so I just shared a disappointing loaf of acidy stodge.

But I got home and found that I hadn't split the starter and left half in the fridge, as I was certain I had. It wasn't there. I had baked the whole starter into the worst loaf of bread I had ever made.

It was wild caught yeast, and it made fabulous bread. I could of course repeat the process of catching it, but there's been too much death in my life recently, and I didn't have the heart.

Thread, I am heartily sorry for offending you ....

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

I murdered my sour dough starter. This was during summer, I took it down to a friends hired cottage. I used it all in loaf, that was terrible because the timing went to hell, and it ended up over proven and dead. Really should have topped it up with more flour and let it prove again, but I didn't, so I just shared a disappointing loaf of acidy stodge.

But I got home and found that I hadn't split the starter and left half in the fridge, as I was certain I had. It wasn't there. I had baked the whole starter into the worst loaf of bread I had ever made.

It was wild caught yeast, and it made fabulous bread. I could of course repeat the process of catching it, but there's been too much death in my life recently, and I didn't have the heart.

Well not a like, but you know what I mean.

Oops.

You're not alone. Mine just got abandoned and consequently it keeled over.

I just don't bake enough bread to warrant getting another one going.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I took it down to a friends hired cottage. I used it all in loaf

When you say used it all, did you have any scrapings of starter left behind in the container? Any at all?

This is no help for your long-dead starter now but may help in future. I regularly use all my starter, bar the few grammes that remain on the inside of the tub, and what's left behind is enough to kick it off again if I add some flour and water as usual. (I normally have less than a third of the remaining starter shown in the picture attached, barely half a teaspoon sometimes.)

starter.JPG

Top Bottom