The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is today's bake - a jewish-style rye, 30% wholegrain, 64% hydration. Very nice with butter & tilsitzer cheese. Could've done with a touch more cumin though...

IMG_5028_small.jpg

Even better today with a fresh batch of homemade butter :hungry:

Picked up four tubs of Duchy Organics double cream on YS at 15p a tub. Not bad, 60p for just over half a kilo of butter. :smile:

Old jon

Guru
My partner's daughter was married last month, a long tale. During our visit to partnersdaughterland to celebrate this event we called in a café, where amongst the goodies on offer was poppy seed cake. This reminded me of a recipe for poppy seed bread, and I made a couple of loaves after we returned. The pic below is today's whimsy on the same recipe but using chia seeds instead, only because someone bought some. The same someone who likes the bread I bake . . .

IMG_2644Small.jpg

Mess - now that's neat. :laugh:

The only downside of bag end breads is the fact that you really can't replicate them. Also call them Bitsas breads, because it's bitsa this and bitsa that LOL

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That looks rather fine :hungry:

I've had to put another poolish on, as the rye I made the other day is almost gone. :blush: Bag end bread this time, so a mix of granary, oat and ordinary white by the looks of it.

Some of my best loaves have been bag ends, but you try making it again.....

Some of my best loaves have been bag ends, but you try making it again.....

Exactly... It's the same with bottom-of-the-veg-drawer soup. :sad:

Exactly... It's the same with bottom-of-the-veg-drawer soup. :sad:
As long as you actually took them out and made the soup, rather than opening the door and finding it already there.

I remember opening my parents' fridge and finding summer vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers etc) way past their best, starting to soften and liquify and decided mum was making slow food gazpacho in the veggie drawer.

**note, my mum was an excellent cook and housekeeper, but she was also an excellent solicitor, so sometimes something would slip - but never her care for her clients. Nor us. But the veggies might suffer.

Top Bottom