The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Here’s an interesting article on the science of sourdough, with a few hints for the home baker.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/living-world/2020/microbial-secrets-sourdough?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The evolution of spelt rolls...

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've found an easy way to make naan breads or pizza bases. Just mix four parts of self raising flour with one part acidic drink - beer, cider, wine, lemonade (etc). You don't have to knead the dough, just roll it out till it's about 5mm thick and then cook each side on a hot pan for a few minutes.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Ooh I’d forgotten about this thread! I was given some sourdough starter a few weeks ago and have been making a loaf every few days. Sourdough is a fickle beast but I seem to have come to an arrangement with it that sees it behaving in exchange for regular feeding. The latest loaf was little short of spectacular.
45F432AA-3BD7-4853-A63A-0D4B42D4A2DF.jpeg

I have also started some practice baking for Christmas. Having seen these mentioned on a Facebook post I had a go at them: baci di dama (ladies’ kisses). The biscuit is made with toasted hazelnuts and sandwiched with dark chocolate. Turned out very well, although next time I might do a ganache rather than just chocolate.
9A3E64D5-E53C-4C18-98EB-C68DBABCEC4C.jpeg

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I've found an easy way to make naan breads or pizza bases. Just mix four parts of self raising flour with one part acidic drink - beer, cider, wine, lemonade (etc). You don't have to knead the dough, just roll it out till it's about 5mm thick and then cook each side on a hot pan for a few minutes.
Interesting. Is that 4 parts by weight or volume?

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can do the same using plain yoghurt. I’d guess buttermilk would do it too.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Interesting. Is that 4 parts by weight or volume?
Volume - I haven't got any scales. It's just approximate though, if the mixture won't form a single mass then just add a little more liquid. Water will do, there is already enough acid to react with the baking soda in the flour.

C R

Guru
Made the dough on Friday night. Rolled it out / laminated it on Saturday morning (three times). Then did the final roll and cut on Saturday evening, leaving them to rise overnight. Egg wash and stick it in the oven on Sunday morning.
Thanks, our children are getting interested in making things from scratch, this looks like a good project.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thanks, our children are getting interested in making things from scratch, this looks like a good project.
The prelude to this was watching Gregg Wallace's Inside the Factory program where he visited the Brioche Pasquier factory in Valence, France. He really enjoyed this one, and a casual question of "do you want to make croissants" was answered very enthusiastically.
I would advise some practice in rolling out before you start. It is a skill that you need to learn.
So we started with this:
Sourdough Crackers
I leave the dough in the fridge overnight minimum to get them ready for rolling out. Only move on to Croissants when they can roll it out to paper thin before putting them in the oven.
Then followed this method:
Weekend bakery
Although adjusted the timings to get morning croissants rather than afternoon ones.

Top Bottom