The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually, the Weekend Bakery recipes are brilliant.

The one for speculaas is :hungry: Lotus biscuits, eat your little flavourless hearts out...

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been baking again, I need to widen my repertoire and eat bananas more quickly :laugh:
Banana and choc chip muffins

Attachments

• 533EF2D9-1020-4570-AA2C-0A92598FD6AF.jpeg
    533EF2D9-1020-4570-AA2C-0A92598FD6AF.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’ve switched flours for today. The sourdough starter seems to love this one, getting all worked up when fed with it and giving an impressive prove overnight. Loaf still a bit warm to cut but looks, smells and sounds good.
E9B43D4E-4933-4ACE-A9F8-959F5D94331A.jpeg

3E21709A-C44D-4054-9D9B-E089FCCF2949.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
For the last few Christmases, since I became a born-again baker, I have baked a lot for the festive season, often to take to parties or give away to family and friends. This year the baking spreadsheet had to be cut-back somewhat since our planned small gathering has been kiboshed. However, I also bake because I can and because I like to, so here’s a small showcase of this year’s efforts:
0D47C32D-E5FE-4B2B-9C36-B98EBF2B8AC4.jpeg

On the tin is a panettone - yes it’s loaf-shaped because I was only making a small one this year so it wouldn’t fill the normal panettone tin, plus my wife likes to slice it and toast it so this facilitates that. Nobody other than me likes traditional fruit cake hence this alternative.

On the plate are:
- deep-filled mince pie
- Italian hazelnut biscuits
- shortbread
- mini stollen.

Not shown is the mincemeat ‘Bakewell’ tart that will be for dessert after lunch since - again - nobody but me likes Christmas pudding.

Merry Christmas!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just a relatively standard farmhouse-type loaf today. I used up the half-and-half flour I had and topped it up with strong white, so it’s a kind of 25:75 loaf. I used dried yeast for this as it was a last minute decision to make a loaf for today and my sourdough starter was still in the fridge. However I still wanted to be able to bake it for lunchtime today without getting up at the crack of dawn so made a low-yeast-content dough last night and proved overnight in the garage (cool but not frigid). Then I just needed to second-prove this morning and bake.
F21DFA4E-E11C-4080-A537-B9BBAC6788E0.jpeg

Top Bottom