The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Another new technique learned today - Dutch oven method. It’s all a bit of a faff but it turns out a good loaf.

For sourdough, dutch oven is my preferred method and is no faff at all. (At least it isn’t for me but I’ve done it a hundred times.). It creates the perfect environment for a good rise and crust.

How do you use the Dutch oven cold into a hot oven, start from cold oven, heat Dutch oven in the oven first?

My pot (minus lid) goes into the oven when I switch it on to heat up. When my dough is ready to bake, I transfer it to the pot in a silicone sheet, then pour some water between the sheet and the pot to create plenty of steam and drop the lid on before putting it back in the oven.

I have a more detailed description of my routine somewhere in this thread with photos of each step. When I find it I’ll link it here.

Edited to add: here’s the post.. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-bakers-thread.228233/post-6009614

I bake my breads in a clay pot because my ancient fan oven has vents in the door and it makes the crust set too quickly otherwise.

Pot, lid and all, goes into a cold oven, and then gets heated up as the oven pre-heats. Otherwise there's a danger of it shattering. Need to be careful when plopping the dough out of the banneton and into the pot, but to be honest, it's not faffy. You just get used to it I suppose. I take the lid off halfway through the bake.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I shaped and 2nd-proved in a colander lined with a well-floured tea-towel (I don’t have a banneton), then turned that out onto a sheet of baking paper to be slashed on top. The pot and lid were pre-heated to as hot as the oven would go, then the slashed bread was lifted and gently dropped into the pot and back in the oven - no water added. 20 minutes with the lid, 25 without - temp lowered when the lid off.

Great crust which was not as impenetrable as an oven-baked loaf. This was a low-yeast, long-prove dough but with yeast rather than sourdough.

Always Cross

Veteran
I got this from Lakeland I could never get a round loaf to hold it’s shape without it flattening out. I know how to tighten the dough for the final proving but doesn’t work for me. With this thing I final prove in that slash it the straight In the oven

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im new to baking -- New as in never having done it since leaving secondary school some 20 years ago so please excuse the kitchen fire....

Im looking for a tried and tested flapjack recipe if any of you are willing to share. Ive already had a google around and have bought some ingredients and i have adapted this here recipe for mega portions as I did go overboard buying 20 odd different types of seeds and dried fruit to put in :whistle::whistle:.

Instructions are pretty clear, its a case of knocking out the first batch, taste testing and deciding if it needs more of one thing or less of the other. My parents want a nibble too so naturally ive had to cut down some of the syrup and sugar thats going into the mix. Im toying with the idea of cutting out some of the butter too but thats what the taste test is for.

At the moment my own recipe is an extra 50% of most things on that recipe linked apart from the syrup and sugar which i have cut down on...

180g butter,
150g Sugar
2&1/2 TBS Syrup
375g rolled oats
100g mixed seeds
100g mixed fruits

------

And yes, I hear you say "Why not use honey instead of Syrup??" -- Sadly mum likes to talk a lot about how hard life would be with diabetes and to cut down all sugar (while she herself throws back shots of Lucozade and raisins...) so sweet things like honey and syrup are generally banned in this house unless its for her own approved consumption. Please dont ask me why... She'll say something is too sweet then I'll come back from a ride to find shes eaten all of what she was complaining about. She is just quirky like that :laugh: -- Its what i have to live with.

Please o'baking gods of CC, bestow upon me your knowledge and expertise.

::EDIT::

I didnt actually go with any of the suggested measurements

175g butter
90g sugar
1tbs syrup
230g oats
100g mixed seeds
125g mixed fruit - sultanas, apricots & cranberry's

Turned out quite well.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
IMG_20210306_133510.jpg

I've only just seen this thread so here's a few of Miss Smoo's creations from this year.

See never fails to amaze us with her bakes, and if you'd like to see more you can find her on Instagram as mollys.baking, or click HERE to go to straight to her account :okay:

Oh and the photography is all her own work too :okay:

Olive Oil Cake

Neapolitan Swirl Biscuits

Battenberg Cake

Viennese Lemon Curd Biscuits

Poppy Seed Sourdough Rolls

Sourdough Loaf (made with homemade starter)

I've only just seen this thread so here's a few of Miss Smoo's creations from this year.

See never fails to amaze us with her bakes, and if you'd like to see more you can find her on Instagram as mollys.baking, or click HERE to go to straight to her account :okay:

Olive Oil Cake
View attachment 577307

View attachment 577308

Battenberg Cake
View attachment 577309
View attachment 577310
View attachment 577311
View attachment 577312

Those look good. And the photography is banging too. :okay:

Err, Miss Smoo can't lob over some of those viennese biscuits by any chance? :blush:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

Olive Oil Cake
View attachment 577307

View attachment 577308

Battenberg Cake
View attachment 577309
View attachment 577310
View attachment 577311
View attachment 577312
I take it you have to test all these creations!!

Top Bottom