The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The battenberg reminded me of a bake from a few years ago. Made in celebration of the queen’s 90th birthday, for a village celebration we had. I give you the Britainberg...
1615073882923.jpeg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've only just seen this thread so here's a few of Miss Smoo's creations from this year.

See never fails to amaze us with her bakes, and if you'd like to see more you can find her on Instagram as mollys.baking, or click HERE to go to straight to her account :okay:

Oh and the photography is all her own work too :okay:

Olive Oil Cake
View attachment 577307

Neapolitan Swirl Biscuits
View attachment 577308

Battenberg Cake
View attachment 577309
Viennese Lemon Curd Biscuits
View attachment 577310
Poppy Seed Sourdough Rolls
View attachment 577311
Sourdough Loaf (made with homemade starter)
View attachment 577312
In all the years I've baked sourdough loaves, I have never got one to look like that last one, and boy, have I tried.

figbat

Slippery scientist
That is top work. I can't work out how it's done either. :wacko:
I drew it all up first, working out what cuts to make and how to assemble it. I then baked two sponges, one red, one blue. Each was cut into the predetermined shapes. Using a tin lined with baking paper and then white marzipan I laid it down from the bottom, laying each strip and separating with buttercream. I had had the idea for a while and just went at it one day, with no idea if or how it would work out. It turned out a well as I could ever have imagined and was the talk of the village party.

For the same event I also made a ‘full English’ gala pie; hot water crust pastry, sausage meat filling with boiled eggs running through it, topped with bacon and surrounded by a tomato jelly. Sadly this stuck in the tin and got a bit messed up on removal, so we ate that at home.
1615146839996.jpeg

I drew it all up first, working out what cuts to make and how to assemble it. I then baked two sponges, one red, one blue. Each was cut into the predetermined shapes. Using a tin lined with baking paper and then white marzipan I laid it down from the bottom, laying each strip and separating with buttercream. I had had the idea for a while and just went at it one day, with no idea if or how it would work out. It turned out a well as I could ever have imagined and was the talk of the village party.

For the same event I also made a ‘full English’ gala pie; hot water crust pastry, sausage meat filling with boiled eggs running through it, topped with bacon and surrounded by a tomato jelly. Sadly this stuck in the tin and got a bit messed up on removal, so we ate that at home.
View attachment 577527

That gala pie... :hungry:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
On the flip side, at least your marmalade doesn't fall through the holes... :whistle:
Yes, I've often wondered about the practicalities of having breakfast with bread like that, doesn't stop me trying though. That said, I'm quite happy with my sourdough bread and indeed, marmalade is my preferred topping! Together with a coffee, bliss. :okay: I actually go to sleep every night looking forward to having my brekkie. :hungry:

Yes, I've often wondered about the practicalities of having breakfast with bread like that, doesn't stop me trying though. That said, I'm quite happy with my sourdough bread and indeed, marmalade is my preferred topping! Together with a coffee, bliss. :okay: I actually go to sleep every night looking forward to having my brekkie. :hungry:

I'm a tea, toast and marmalade girl in the mornings. :smile:

Actually, marmalade making is on the agenda for tomorrow. I have a batch of fruit (tangerine, sweet orange & seville orange) cut, cooked and waiting to meet up with some sugar. ^_^

In all the years I've baked sourdough loaves, I have never got one to look like that last one, and boy, have I tried.
She got 2 from the first batch of sourdough she made, and not having anything to use for the Dutch oven method she heated the trays first and put a baking tray with water in to create the steam, beginners luck? I don't know but they tasted great :mrpig:

The next sourdough loaves she made after buying a casserole dish to use the Dutch oven method, but she used a different recipe and wasn't as pleased with the results, they still tasted great but it's definitely a dark art that she'll have to keep tweaking as she goes, which probably about sums baking up in general I suppose :okay:

Top Bottom