The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I made some batons (can't really call them baguettes) to make garlic bread to accompany tonight's dinner.

I don't know if they'll last that long though!

20211219_151406.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
So here’s the final effort - best so far (EIIDSSM):
7FCABD88-0F33-4950-AD33-D1A3509CA2BE.jpeg

8C9A0517-C87D-40FA-86AA-8D6DE92C45FC.jpeg

Also on the menu is a modern interpretation of the classic torrone di morte - usually done with hazelnuts and a hazelnut chocolate filling, this one uses the ubiquitous Biscoff biscuits (cream sandwich ones) and spread:
DF19CE73-B410-4B56-8774-5BA20FA24530.jpeg

And another fusion dessert - tiramisu meets the Black Forest:
EFEDBCB9-3CDC-4290-89C2-E98EBAD25875.jpeg

…served with lightly-sweetened whipped cream laced with cherry brandy.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Oops! Wooden you know it, I’ve fixed it.

Tom B

Guru
I know there are quite a lot of bread bakers on here. So I've been messing around largely unsuccessfully trying to make home made barm cakes.

Now there is a whole world of discussion about what a barm cake is and it's called different things across the country. Let's not get into that argument. I just go with whatever the locale preference is wherever I am.

I'm in Lancashire so it's a barm cake today...

It's a light floury fluffy bread bun, open textured inside, soft with a thin light crust, it will squash if squeezed. It cannot be described as crispy or having any sort of bite and only a light chew. They're a light golden on top and usually white at the sides. They can come stuck together but usually these days don't.

They're best bought daily from local bakeries and nothing from a Supermarket, Warburton's or large bakery gets near it. A propper barm needs to be kept covered or at least in a paper bag as it will dry out in a few hours.

Historically I think they was made from the yeasty foam from the top of beer brewing (barm), hence the name barm cakes.

I've tried several times to replicate them. But always end up with something too crusty, too chewy too dense.

I'm thinking they're going to have only a brief kneed, high water content, a long prove and a low temp cook but I can't get it anywhere near.

Any offers

This is something like...
Screenshot_20220306-083046_1h.png

Top Bottom