The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Although the baker in the following calls her product 'Scottish Morning Rolls',

Perhaps give her recipe a try?

View: https://youtu.be/CEyBxubfiZ8

Certainly pretty different from what I've tried in terms of method and if not what I'm looking for will likely accommodate some bacon well enough.

I'll report back.

First slow effort
20220307_123509.JPG
20220307_125217.JPG

20220307_125223.JPG

20220307_130126.JPG

I left the second batch to prove a bit longer... Big mistake.

They need to be a bit bigger than the 90mm recommend in the video and they needed the damp muslin after cooking.

When I win the lottery the first thing I will buy for my barn conversion kitchen will be a proving cabinet

Last edited:

Proto

Legendary Member
This morning I wondered if this thread was still alive as I prepared ingredients for a spelt loaf I’m making, looked at ’New Posts‘ and there it is!

Anyway, here we go. More photos to come.
C74BEB35-3068-4C10-9115-CA1F7EE67AE4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
@Tom B & @benb

I tend to play about with recipes and don’t always record the adaptations I make. However, I’m pretty sure that for the batons you asked about, I used Gino D’Acampo’s ciabatta ingredients list and then shaped them following Richard Bertinet’s baguette shaping method.

If you don’t want to do an overnight biga, you can adjust the recipe accordingly and do it all on the day. Flavour will still be good but not quite as good as starting the night before.

Hopefully the attached photo of the recipe is readable for you.

2022_03_07 20_43 Office Lens.jpg

Tom B

Guru
Had a bash at a jam babbka today too after the posts above reminded.

The outcome reminded me that I should

A) reduce the jam in a pan first
B) firm the roll in the fridge before shaping
C) not cut all the way through
D) not enlist the help of a 4 year old to lift it into the pan
E) the jam burns if you let it.

F) despite all the above it still tastes great.

"But most of all don't enlist the help of a 4 year old for delicate bit

It's probably been about 10years since I did one
20220307_165508_1.JPG

Attachments

• 20220307_165508_1.JPG
    20220307_165508_1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Had a bash at a jam babbka today too after the posts above reminded.

The outcome reminded me that I should

A) reduce the jam in a pan first
B) firm the roll in the fridge before shaping
C) not cut all the way through
D) not enlist the help of a 4 year old to lift it into the pan
E) the jam burns if you let it.

F) despite all the above it still tastes great.

It's probably been about 10years since I did one View attachment 634283

If I might make a suggestion...

Swap the jam for powidła i.e. plum butter. It's not as runny, less sweet and is actually a traditional filling for these in Poland. Readily available in the Polish aisle in supermarkets, but also really easy to make.

Tom B

Guru
If I might make a suggestion...

Swap the jam for powidła i.e. plum butter. It's not as runny, less sweet and is actually a traditional filling for these in Poland. Readily available in the Polish aisle in supermarkets, but also really easy to make.

Sounds like a good idea. Im fond of plum. Grandma used to make some sort of plummy conserve with plums from a random tree in a field near her house and damsons never tasted anything like it since.

I have a huge jar of Nutella that Ive toyed with using too. Ideas for things to do with Nutella are welcome. Beyond pancakes and putting it on Maryland choc chip cookies (that'll change your life almost as much as Stilton on Celery Sticks with a sprinkle of salt)

Sounds like a good idea. Im fond of plum. Grandma used to make some sort of plummy conserve with plums from a random tree in a field near her house and damsons never tasted anything like it since.

I have a huge jar of Nutella that Ive toyed with using too. Ideas for things to do with Nutella are welcome. Beyond pancakes and putting it on Maryland choc chip cookies (that'll change your life almost as much as Stilton on Celery Sticks with a sprinkle of salt)

Mmmm yes, well home made damson jam is one of life's little pleasures... :blush:

If you can get a good supply of plums, then plum butter is so easy.

Wash and stone the fruit and cut into quarters. Weight the fruit, and then weigh out half the amount of sugar. Put the plums in a pan with a few tablespoons of water, and then cook until the fruit is soft. When the fruit is cooked, slowly add the sugar and stir till dissolved. Then, let the mixture cook on a low heat until it is really thick. The fruit butter is ready when a wooden spoon dragged through the mixture will leave a clean channel in the bottom of the pan. Just be careful to watch the mixture as it thickens, as it can catch, so regular stirring required. N.B. This is also a good way of using up excess cooking apples. :okay:

Nutella? Chelsea bun dough, and swap the fruit, butter and spice for chocolate spread, don't glaze, but drizzle melted chocolate on top. Maybe add some chopped nuts in as well?

Tom B

Guru
First slow effort View attachment 634192 View attachment 634196

View attachment 634197

View attachment 634198

I left the second batch to prove a bit longer... Big mistake.

They need to be a bit bigger than the 90mm recommend in the video and they needed the damp muslin after cooking.

When I win the lottery the first thing I will buy for my barn conversion kitchen will be a proving cabinet

Update on Barm Cake quest... Had a chat with the woman in the local bread bakery.

She told me she hand rolls (so the video technique is right) all of hers, but there is no first prove, she just proves them all in one.

Suggests 4oz would be a good weight of dough but she's does it "rack-oth-eye"

If baking muffins (I'm not) turn them mid cook.

If the baby ever allows me to sleep I'll give it a go.

Tom B

Guru
Not much dough action of late but Had a few beers last night. Dug some dough pucks out of the freezer and knocked a few of these out.

Clearly had a bit more whiskey while making than I thought as this morning I found the frozen garlic in the fridge, the dry parsley in the freezer with the garlic olive oils and the fresh garlic in the herb rack.

Jolly delicious from what I remember.

(Essentially a garlic bread Neapolitan style pizza type thing with crumbled blue cheese and out of date mozzarella)

Attachments

• 20220402_222007.JPG
    20220402_222007.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom