The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Haven't posted for a while, as I haven't done anything new. With Easter approaching I went looking for a recipe for rosca, as I've never been happy with my attempts. I found one which I wasn't sure about, as I thought it didn't have enough liquid, but went with it anyway, and I'm glad I did, as it came out as I remembered it should be.

Ready to go into the oven
View attachment 640325

Out of the oven
View attachment 640326

Got a good rise
View attachment 640327

I used the breadmaker to mix and knead, which worked well, though maybe slightly overkneaded. The children didn't mind, almost all gone in a day.

Looks really good and not something I'm familiar with. Did you use and online recipe?

C R

Guru
That looks interesting. Can you post a link to the recipe please?:hungry:

Looks really good and not something I'm familiar with. Did you use and online recipe?
Rosca is a circular egg bread, similar to brioche, but not as fluffy. It is a Galician Easter tradition given by godparents to their godchildren in Easter Sunday.

The link is here:

https://feiraco.es/gl/receitas-e-vida-saudable/receita-rosca-pascua-leite-feiraco/

Google translate does a reasonable job, but the method in the recipe is not very well explained. This is how I made it.

Ingredients

570g strong bread flour

150ml milk, preferably whole milk

60g butter

1 yeast sachet, if using fresh 10g, and activate with 100g flour and 100ml milk

4 large eggs, plus one for the wash

100g sugar

Pinch of salt

Glacé cherries to decorate

Juice and grated peel of one lemon, or anise liquor if you can get it

Method

If using live yeast, activate an hour in advance.

Mix the flour with the yeast, and gradually add the liquid ingredients to make the dough, leaving the lemon an butter until last. Knead well, and leave to raise until at least double in size.

Knock back, divide in two an form a circle with each part. Leave to rest, you may need to keep pulling the circle out, as it tends to close on itself as it relaxes. After 45 minutes or so, paint with egg wash, decorate wit the cherries if desired, and bake at 180C for about 25 minutes.

I used the breadmaker for mixing and kneading because I am lazy.

ETA, I just realised that my instructions weren't all that clear either. Where I said to mix the flour with the yeast, that's when to add the sugar.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru

`
Rosca is a circular egg bread, similar to brioche, but not as fluffy. It is a Galician Easter tradition given by godparents to their godchildren in Easter Sunday.

The link is here:

https://feiraco.es/gl/receitas-e-vida-saudable/receita-rosca-pascua-leite-feiraco/

Google translate does a reasonable job, but the method in the recipe is not very well explained. This is how I made it.

Ingredients

570g strong bread flour

150ml milk, preferably whole milk

60g butter

1 yeast sachet, if using fresh 10g, and activate with 100g flour and 100ml milk

4 large eggs, plus one for the wash

100g sugar

Pinch of salt

Glacé cherries to decorate

Juice and grated peel of one lemon, or anise liquor if you can get it

Method

If using live yeast, activate an hour in advance.

Mix the flour with the yeast, and gradually add the liquid ingredients to make the dough, leaving the lemon an butter until last. Knead well, and leave to raise until at least double in size.

Knock back, divide in two an form a circle with each part. Leave to rest, you may need to keep pulling the circle out, as it tends to close on itself as it relaxes. After 45 minutes or so, paint with egg wash, decorate wit the cherries if desired, and bake at 180C for about 25 minutes.

I used the breadmaker for mixing and kneading because I am lazy.

We recently purchased an ActiFry air fryer and Mrs Tenkaykev decided to see if she could bake a cake in it ( with the paddle removed ). It came out very similar in shape, though the pan is domed at the bottom so it’s “ upside down “ being flat at the top.

C R

Guru
`

We recently purchased an ActiFry air fryer and Mrs Tenkaykev decided to see if she could bake a cake in it ( with the paddle removed ). It came out very similar in shape, though the pan is domed at the bottom so it’s “ upside down “ being flat at the top.

Sounds interesting, does it work for bread too?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Sounds interesting, does it work for bread too?

Not tried it for bread, we have an old Panasonic bread maker that's still going strong. We're impressed with the Actifry, though the cooking suggestions that come with it are a bit naff. As the results look like a giant doughnut that has been sliced in half, we're planning on baking two cakes and putting them on top of each other flat side to flat side with some sort of filling. That would look like a giant doughnut.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My first attempt at shortbread (from a Mary Berry recipe). Taste good👍

20220423_181859.jpg

bluenotebob

Veteran
I wish I had a kitchen worktop as clean and tidy as @annedonnelly ..

Here's my 'every day' bread - a multi-cereal loaf (as it's also malty, I guess you could call it a granary loaf).

600g of flour (50% Francine's multi-cereal flour and 50% organic T-150 flour, which is the closest to wholemeal flour that I've found after nearly 30 years of looking for it in France). I knock a couple of these out every week.

Multi-cereal loaf 24042022 pic 1.JPG

Multi-cereal loaf 24042022 pic 4.JPG

figbat

Slippery scientist
…(as it's also malty, I guess you could call it a granary loaf).
Nice loaf, but strictly you can’t call it a granary loaf since Hovis have registered Granary as trademark.

Nice granary-style loaf though! 😉

figbat

Slippery scientist
Now that I have retired (🥳) and am no longer restricted to weekend baking, I thought I’d do a couple of 1/2 size loaves. First is a crusty, plaited white and the second is a coriander, olive and onion bread. The second one didn’t rise as well but is very tasty.

View attachment 643157

That’s a very neat plait!

Inclusions in dough do tend to hamper proving; I tend to try for a long, slow prove but accept that the bread will likely be denser.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

That’s a very neat plait!

Inclusions in dough do tend to hamper proving; I tend to try for a long, slow prove but accept that the bread will likely be denser.

Thanks, it was a simple 3-strander.

The other dough was a horrible to work with. The addition of the chopped onions and olives introduced a lot of moisture, making it a sticky mess and almost impossible to shape. Next time I’ll using kitchen roll to pat dry the onion and olives before kneading them in after the first prove. Flavour was a winner with everyone.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Hmmmm, wouldn't it just be easier to add less water? Saves on the faffage...

DAMHIKT :whistle:

It was a recipe I’d never tried before and I always follow it as written when trying it for the first time.

It was the fact that the added ingredients were fairly wet which caused the problem during the second bout of kneading. They simply did not want to remain inside the dough and constantly slipped straight back out with every manipulation.

I’ve had this with a fruit loaf but to a much lesser extent, which I attribute to drying the soaked fruits before incorporating them.

Top Bottom