The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As in potato?

Having leftover mash is a great excuse to make potato bread... :hungry: I use a variant of the Hairy Bikers' recipe.
Would Smash work? asking for a friend...

Tom B

Guru
As in potato?

Having leftover mash is a great excuse to make potato bread... :hungry: I use a variant of the Hairy Bikers' recipe.

Yup. The recipe called for 2 Tbsp of instant mash as an improver to give softer fluffier crumb. I'm not so sure. Going to try it without next time.

I find it impossible to gauge the amount of potato for making mash. The excess get thrown in the freezer and I make potato cakes for eating with butter, bacon and poached eggs at least weekly. They're known as patapatas in my house because my little lad pat's them out.

Yup. The recipe called for 2 Tbsp of instant mash as an improver to give softer fluffier crumb. I'm not so sure. Going to try it without next time.

I find it impossible to gauge the amount of potato for making mash. The excess get thrown in the freezer and I make potato cakes for eating with butter, bacon and poached eggs at least weekly. They're known as patapatas in my house because my little lad pat's them out.

Have to say, the Hairy Bikers' potato bread recipe is lovely, both in flavour and texture. Although I don't make the mash from scratch, I just throw in whatever mash is knocking around in the fridge and make a loaf accordingly.

I know what you mean. Other than the bread, I turn excess mash into gnocchi - add an egg and lots of black pepper to the potato and mash it all up with a fork, then gradually work in enough flour to make a soft (but not sticky) dough. Then it's "proceed as usual" for any kind of fresh pasta. So much nicer than anything shop bought.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Have to say, the Hairy Bikers' potato bread recipe is lovely, both in flavour and texture. Although I don't make the mash from scratch, I just throw in whatever mash is knocking around in the fridge and make a loaf accordingly.

I know what you mean. Other than the bread, I turn excess mash into gnocchi - add an egg and lots of black pepper to the potato and mash it all up with a fork, then gradually work in enough flour to make a soft (but not sticky) dough. Then it's "proceed as usual" for any kind of fresh pasta. So much nicer than anything shop bought.
The Gnocchi method sounds intriguing, something for me to try next time we have mash 👍

The Gnocchi method sounds intriguing, something for me to try next time we have mash 👍

Best to cook them in small batches in well-salted boiling water. They're done when they float to the top. I usually have a pot of sauce simmering away on the next hob, so just drop them into the hot pasta sauce.

The trick is not to overwork the dough, so your that gnocchi will stay light and fluffy. Otherwise they'll end up with the doughy texture of bought ones. Umm, and keep the board well-floured.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Best to cook them in small batches in well-salted boiling water. They're done when they float to the top. I usually have a pot of sauce simmering away on the next hob, so just drop them into the hot pasta sauce.

The trick is not to overwork the dough, so your that gnocchi will stay light and fluffy. Otherwise they'll end up with the doughy texture of bought ones. Umm, and keep the board well-floured.
Thank you, I've cut and pasted your advice into my notes app 👍

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The latest hot cross bun recipe from Bake With Jack.

The fruit wasn't evenly distributed in the dough so some of the buns were harder to shape than others. But the bonus is that the mis-shapes have more fruit. 😄 I didn't have any marmalade so I glazed them with apricot jam. And I'm not very good at piping crosses.

C R

Guru
Haven't posted for a while, as I haven't done anything new. With Easter approaching I went looking for a recipe for rosca, as I've never been happy with my attempts. I found one which I wasn't sure about, as I thought it didn't have enough liquid, but went with it anyway, and I'm glad I did, as it came out as I remembered it should be.

Ready to go into the oven
20220414_161304.jpg

Out of the oven
20220414_163605.jpg

Got a good rise
20220414_183010.jpg

I used the breadmaker to mix and knead, which worked well, though maybe slightly overkneaded. The children didn't mind, almost all gone in a day.

Top Bottom