The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Second brown loaf of the weekend,first one disappeared.
20180318_192006.jpg

CharlesF

Guru
A preferment that threatened to escape its bowl has resulted in late night bread making. Currently in the middle of a series of stretch & folds before consigning dough to the fridge for its bulk ferment.

A 50% preferment is something of a pain to mix into the other ingredients - took a lot longer than usual before everything started to come together during kneading. All those different textures I guess. But wow, have I got the most amazing silky, supple dough ever...

Other than upping my usual 100% hydration preferment to 50% of the total flour, the rest of the formula is, barring a slight reduction in hydration due to using all white flour (62% total as opposed to 65%), the same for my everyday bread.

Preferment:
300g white bread flour
300g tepid water
1 pinch DA yeast

Dough:
all of the preferment plus
150g white bread flour
150g durum flour
72g water
1 pinch DA yeast
12g (2%) salt
2 tbsp olive oil

We'll see what this turns out to be...

Please let us know how it turns out, it’s another recipe to try.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
:hungry:

What sort is that? Looks fabby.

I've just degassed and shaped mine. Went in the banneton about 10 mins ago.

Plain sourdough from the overnight, no knead recipe I posted earlier. I switched the timings round by kicking it off first thing this morning.

I've taken it out now, it's dark enough for me.
I'm now listening to it cracking loudly...

image.jpeg

That won’t keep very well, needs immediate eating with lots of butter and cheese. The food of gods.

FFS Don't make it any more difficult for me to stay out of the kitchen. I'm trying to save this for tomorrow.

Or maybe butter and honey - or home made jam :hungry:

Or... or... butter and thinly-sliced black forest ham... Or perhaps a pate d'Ardennes...

Plain sourdough from the overnight, no knead recipe I posted earlier. I switched the timings round by kicking it off first thing this morning. I've taken it out now, it's dark enough for me. I'm now listening to it cracking loudly...

My bread never does that... Maybe because it's that my oven only goes up to 220C and is vented - have to bake my breads under a cloche, else I get burst, wonky loaves.

Will have to give that a go once my new culture is more stable.

Having said that, there are some wonderful aromas currently emanating from the kitchen...

Top Bottom