The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
under a cloche

download.jpeg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mmmmm, that looks good! :hungry:

Thanks.

I also made a couple of cheese & mustard loaves (a 2lb and a 1lb) but I'm still working on getting the balance right.
The first try had too much of both and this pair have not enough of either.
There will be a Goldilocks moment any day now...

cheese_mustard.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The last sourdough I made last week was a failure. My starter has been sitting in my fridge for months, so I thought I'd better start using it again. I didn't refresh it for long enough I think, so next time I'll refresh for a couple of days before using.
The three ducks which have started to visit my garden said it was good though.

Mind you, I did make a rather good, TISIM, banana loaf using a recipe on the side of a bag of spelt flour, it added a dollop of yoghurt. I've just bought a load of over ripe bananas to make another!

SteveF

Rather nicely (even if I say so myself)

View attachment 400757

I have to say, that looks lovely, hope it tasted as good as it looks....

Thanks.

I also made a couple of cheese & mustard loaves (a 2lb and a 1lb) but I'm still working on getting the balance right.
The first try had too much of both and this pair have not enough of either.
There will be a Goldilocks moment any day now...

View attachment 400764

Ah, yes. One of *those*. The loaves look good though.

A really sharp cheese like Provolone piccante works well for this sort of thing. :hungry:

The last sourdough I made last week was a failure. My starter has been sitting in my fridge for months, so I thought I'd better start using it again. I didn't refresh it for long enough I think, so next time I'll refresh for a couple of days before using.
The three ducks which have started to visit my garden said it was good though.

Mind you, I did make a rather good, TISIM, banana loaf using a recipe on the side of a bag of spelt flour, it added a dollop of yoghurt. I've just bought a load of over ripe bananas to make another!

It can't have been as bad as these two that I turned out a while back. My friend's chooks flatly refused to eat them... :laugh:

IMG_4461_vsmall.jpg

In the end, I made these waffles: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/bread-baking-sourdough-waffles-recipe.html

Less fiddly than the King Arthur ones i.e. no overnight build needed - can use starter / discard as is, and really tasty. :hungry: Had a dozen out of the batch (my waffle iron is smaller than the one mentioned) and there're only four left. :blush: Would really recommend. :thumbsup:

P.S. my starter is a 100% hydration using wholemeal flour. Didn't need to add any additional flour or liquid to the recipe. Only change I made was adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter.

Made a cracking bread with the discard from my wholewheat SD starter.

Used the discard to make a very vigorous levain, which in turn made a very vigorous dough. It was already galloping away when doing the stretch & folds the other evening, so wanged it in the overnight fridge for the bulk ferment and hoped for the best. I was convinced it was going to overprove, but no, had a nice billowy dough in the morning that needed an hour at room temperature to finish off before degassing and shaping. Final proof was very quick (less than an hour).

Turned out a lovely bread with wonderful aroma and oven spring. Broke into it at lunchtime today after letting it sit overnight. Flavour is good, though you can tell it's not a yeasted bread, crunchy crust, soft, semi-open and glossy crumb. Was very nice with a dollop of hummus.

Have frozen some of my starter for insurance, and will have a go at drying some as well. This culture seems so much more predictable than my old one.

Top Bottom