The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Baked some barbari (Iranian flat bread) today.

Before the oven

20180404_165953.jpg

and after

20180404_171539.jpg

I struggle to get a uniform thickness and the look is not quite right, but it tastes good.

SteveF

Followed a Paul Hollywood sourdough recipe, with and added an overnight rise in the fridge. ..

DSC_0231.JPG

C R

Guru
Followed a Paul Hollywood sourdough recipe, with and added an overnight rise in the fridge. ..

View attachment 404192
That looks nice. Regarding sourdough, I tried making flatbread with mine, but it wouldn't spread or hold properly, the mechanical properties of the dough weren't right. I have seen some of you make pizza bases with sourdough, do you knead the dough differently to get it to spread properly?

SteveF

That looks nice. Regarding sourdough, I tried making flatbread with mine, but it wouldn't spread or hold properly, the mechanical properties of the dough weren't right. I have seen some of you make pizza bases with sourdough, do you knead the dough differently to get it to spread properly?

To be honest I'm a bit of a novice at the breadmaking , I've only used a sourdough starter in a couple of pizzas and that was in addition to rather than instead of yeast, mine just added a bit more taste.

No doubt there will be some here with more knowledge and experience! !

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
@C R I don't knead my dough any differently.

If you find yours is shrinking back as you shape it, cover it with a tea-rowel and let it rest for 15 minutes before shaping again. Depending on the elasticity of it, you may have to do this more than once. Make sure you don't do this on a heavily floured surface as the dough will have no grip and you will be there all day.

There are lots of videos on YouTube for achieving a proper base, you'll find one that suits you.

The pizza I make uses this recipe: https://www.shipton-mill.com/baking/recipes/no-knead-sourdough-pizza.htm

If you find that makes more than you'll use, it does keep well in the fridge for use later in the week.

You could always add a little more liquid to give you a slacker dough @C R

But it's swings and roundabouts with that, as wetter doughs are harder to handle. What hydration are you working at btw? I shoot for somewhere between 60 and 67 %, depending on the percentage of wholegrain in the mix.

Reactions: C R
Thanks @glasgowcyclist and @Reynard. My problem was that the dough had very little elasticity, so it was difficult to work, imagine runny plasticine. I don't have a starter at this point, but once I get one going I will check try your suggestions.

The same applies to yeasted doughs as well.

Some doughs are quite dry; bagel dough is only 55% hydration, and that's tough to work with as it's stiff with not too much give. A good bread dough should be silky, supple and stretchy.

BTW, what flour are you using?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Another productive day yesterday in the kitchen and another first-time recipe for me: date & walnut loaf.
I was attracted by the addition of brandy and a cup of coffee to the ingredients so just had to give it a go.

IMG_3460 (2).jpg

I'm pleased to day that the result was a delicious loaf, moist and soft on the inside with a lovely crunchy crust on the outside.

IMG_3464 (2).jpg

(Don't worry if you don't like coffee, it doesn't flavour the bread but its acidity reacts with the baking soda to give a better rise than plain water.)

The recipe is at : https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/old-fashioned-date-nut-bread-recipe

Top Bottom