The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never merely a smear, lashings of butter is more like it!

Well, my wardrobe would develop a case of terminal dampness if I did that on a regular basis :laugh:

C R

Guru
The same applies to yeasted doughs as well.

Some doughs are quite dry; bagel dough is only 55% hydration, and that's tough to work with as it's stiff with not too much give. A good bread dough should be silky, supple and stretchy.

BTW, what flour are you using?
I just use strong white flour, Alinson of late.

My understanding is that the kneading influences the mechanical properties of the dough by increasing the amount of cross linking of the protein. I understand that more kneading produces more elastic dough, and the art is knowing how much is right for each type of dough, and I am not good at that.

CharlesF

Guru
Calling Glasgow Bakers.
I order flour via Amazon, and today received 5 bags of FWP Matthews Cotswold Strong Wholemeal Flour 1.5 kg instead of the white flour. Amazon are sending the correct flour which means that I have 4 bags of wholemeal flour looking for a good home. Contact me if interested.
upload_2018-4-21_16-22-32.png

I'm assuming it's a mistake on their part and are letting you keep it?

When it comes to wholemeal, I like the Tesco's stoneground. It's one of the cheaper ones, but is actually very nice.

Am making calzone tonight. :hungry: Dough is in the fridge doing its bulk ferment.

Reactions: C R

CharlesF

Guru
So do I, but I have bought 3kg recently. For a quick and easy loaf I make a honey wholewheat as two small loaves. It was the first loaf I tried so is special!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm assuming it's a mistake on their part and are letting you keep it?

When it comes to wholemeal, I like the Tesco's stoneground. It's one of the cheaper ones, but is actually very nice.

Am making calzone tonight. :hungry: Dough is in the fridge doing its bulk ferment.
I agree, the Tesco stoneground is very good, only bettered by some from a water mill which I visit, which is a little more expensive and is 40 miles away, so quite a ride when I do go. And the ride back can be pretty slow!!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've gone straight to page 14 without trawling the previous pages. :blush:

I'm thinking of buying this, the Electrolux EKM4000, to knead my dough (don't like sticky fingers). Anyone use one and what do you think?

View attachment 405380
You really should get used to kneading, put oil on your hands if you don't want dough sticking. Kneading is so much part of the process of making bread, feeling how the dough comes together and becomes silky, you shouldn't miss out on it. There are few doughs which need a mixer (although they are useful to have for many things, so if you haven't got one, the one you posted looks fine).

You really should get used to kneading, put oil on your hands if you don't want dough sticking. Kneading is so much part of the process of making bread, feeling how the dough comes together and becomes silky, you shouldn't miss out on it. There are few doughs which need a mixer (although they are useful to have for many things, so if you haven't got one, the one you posted looks fine).

Thanks for the reply.

I did make (and knead) bread about 15 years ago, but stopped/lost interest due to my dislike of sticky fingers. I'll try the machine and see how it goes.

Top Bottom