The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are various versions of. Worth looking around to find a recipe that suits.

Most are fairly high hydration with a tiny bit of yeast and need a couple of days in the fridge.

CharlesF

Guru
That looks like it will be fine,

. ..
I'm thinking of buying this, the Electrolux EKM4000, to knead my dough (don't like sticky fingers). Anyone use one and what do you think?/QUOTE]

and being will be stronger and faster than any other.

My way of thinking is that bread making, mixer, or entirely by hand is much better than factory made bread, so go for it.

CharlesF

Guru
Sarah Black's "One dough, ten breads" is all no kneading just folding. Some excellent recipes and takes you through as a novice to expert. I love it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Calling Glasgow Bakers.
I order flour via Amazon, and today received 5 bags of FWP Matthews Cotswold Strong Wholemeal Flour 1.5 kg instead of the white flour. Amazon are sending the correct flour which means that I have 4 bags of wholemeal flour looking for a good home. Contact me if interested.
View attachment 405329

I'm fully stocked with flour for now or I might have tried some.

If it's surplus and you're not out of pocket, what about donating it to a local social enterprise bakery such as the High Rise Bakers in the Gorbals? They do great work with marginalised people such as refugees, people with mental health problems and drug addicts.

Or maybe there's a food bank near you that would appreciate it.

CharlesF

Guru
I'm fully stocked with flour for now or I might have tried some.

If it's surplus and you're not out of pocket, what about donating it to a local social enterprise bakery such as the High Rise Bakers in the Gorbals? They do great work with marginalised people such as refugees, people with mental health problems and drug addicts.

Or maybe there's a food bank near you that would appreciate it.

That's an excellent idea, that never occurred to me. I'm back in Glasgow on Thursday and I see if High Rise Bakers are open. Thanks Glasgowcyclist for a brilliant suggestion.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Gutted I missed Bread Festival.

My apologies.

I feel such a diddy for forgetting to mention it on here.

Was the festival any good @glasgowcyclist ? Don't have anything like that in this neck of the woods, I don't think.

I'm planning on having a crack at making my own tiger bread. I love the stuff. Need to work out what goes into the paste that's spread over the loaf. Yeast, oil and salt probably, amongst other things...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Was the festival any good @glasgowcyclist ? Don't have anything like that in this neck of the woods, I don't think.

It was the first one to be held and I hope it becomes a regular event.

I really enjoyed it; there were various stalls with breads, cheeses, Indian food (best samosas I've ever had), talks by representatives of bakery enterprises, including Freedom Bakery who help with rehabilitation of offenders at Barlinnie and Lowmoss. There was also an interesting presentation by a farmer from Ayrshire who produces organic, non-homogenised milk, that you can buy on tap.
Sadly tow of the main speakers couldn't make it so there was no sourdough demonstration from Michael of Baikhaus and no talk from Andrew Whitley of Bread Matters. Those were my two main motivations for going too. Bum.

I'm planning on having a crack at making my own tiger bread. I love the stuff. Need to work out what goes into the paste that's spread over the loaf. Yeast, oil and salt probably, amongst other things...

So far I've stayed away from that as the paste bit looks too much of a faff. I'll let you have a bash first then you can report back!

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Another first time bake for me yesterday: pitta breads.

I can't tell you how they taste as they were for my daughter's office lunch club. I'm hoping to hear back soon.

IMG_3480.jpg

Ah, bummer @glasgowcyclist that the two things you really wanted to see didn't happen. But a really good samosa is one of life's little pleasures, and I really do like the sound of that milk...

I see you're waiting for me to make all the mistakes first... :laugh: I'll need to get rice flour and sesame oil in though, as they're not cupboard staples here. Then we'll have a crack at it. Most recipes seem to call for a basic white bread, so that's what I'll use.

About to wang a granary loaf in the oven.

Just a standard bread-in-a-hurry rather than what I'd been intending to make: 600g flour, 360g water, 12g yeast, 12g salt, 2tbsp oil, one generous dollop of malt extract.

Top Bottom