The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I took advantage of several clearance offers in Tesco a year and a half ago when they were shifting the catering-sized bags that were available during lockdown. I wasn't going to say no to bread flour that worked out at 25p per kilo, so am well stocked up. :blush:

Picked up a mix of 80%, white and rye.

Maybe I'll cycle around the 3 stores in town, do a price comparison then pounce. Well pounce on the cafe and plan my purchasing strategy.

Aldi gone very long on Corn oil I see.

Maybe I'll cycle around the 3 stores in town, do a price comparison then pounce. Well pounce on the cafe and plan my purchasing strategy.

Aldi gone very long on Corn oil I see.

I also take advantage of the "green bins" in Tesco where they sell clearance / end of line / damaged goods. Last week I picked up a bag of white rye and a bag of kamut for 99p each.

Morriston are rather expensive for flour in my èxperience

If it's cheap you're after, look for atta / chapatti flour in the supermarket. It's 80% extraction. Slightly lower in protein than strong bread flour, but I love to mix it half and half with strong white. Makes great-tasting bread, and is especially good for naan and pitta. :okay:

Typically priced at around £5 for a 10kg bag.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I made these Puff-Puffs yesterday, apparently very popular in Nigeria, The Gambia and other west African countries. A lovely Gambian woman gave me her recipe and this was the result.

20220906_114231.jpg

It's effectively a doughnut batter that you can flavour as you please, typically with cinnamon or similar. Impossible not to eat them all!🐷

C R

Guru
I made these Puff-Puffs yesterday, apparently very popular in Nigeria, The Gambia and other west African countries. A lovely Gambian woman gave me her recipe and this was the result.

View attachment 660253
It's effectively a doughnut batter that you can flavour as you please, typically with cinnamon or similar. Impossible not to eat them all!🐷

Look a bit like buñuelos.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
If it's cheap you're after, look for atta / chapatti flour in the supermarket. It's 80% extraction. Slightly lower in protein than strong bread flour, but I love to mix it half and half with strong white. Makes great-tasting bread, and is especially good for naan and pitta. :okay:

Typically priced at around £5 for a 10kg bag.

I wish someone would tell my local Asian supermarket, where the lowest price of a 10Kg bag of atta flour is £13.74!
https://www.falcononline.co.uk/rice-flour-grains?cat=251&size=415&product_list_order=price

I expect the price of bread flour in Lidl will increase, but the last bags I bought, on 1/8/2022, were 75p for 1.5 Kg, white and wholemeal.
50p per Kg versus 1.37? Hmmm, decisions, decisions!
Best bargain lately has been fairly short shelf life strong brown flour at Morrison's at 35p for 1.5Kg!

Top Bottom