The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing ever needs more cinnamon... Vile stuff :-p. Tastes like primary school pencil sharpenings.

I made a steamed jam pudding. It lasted about 1 min after being turned out before it was gobbled up. I've been challenged to to a chocolate one, with a chocolate sauce instead of jam. But not sure how I'm going to do the sauce.

There is a pudding that you just make the batter, and while it cooks in the oven, separates out into a sponge and a chocolate sauce in the bottom. Forgotten what it's called though. I suspect Mr Google might have the answer.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There is a pudding that you just make the batter, and while it cooks in the oven, separates out into a sponge and a chocolate sauce in the bottom. Forgotten what it's called though. I suspect Mr Google might have the answer.

I think there's a lemon version too. Something like this one.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Not bread, but I thought you lot would be interested in this-

Today I went on a cheese making course at River Cottage. No sign of Hugh, but an enjoyable day taught by Marcus Ferguson.

I made Caerphilly and Camembert. The ricotta we were supposed to make was minimal.

43D20375-82C2-4E6C-AFE6-3E90F73DCC00.jpeg

025A54ED-BE51-4E48-85EE-061F93CF0319.jpeg

932F2075-1100-4B82-BE9A-22C927AABA99.jpeg

C R

Guru
Made empanadas yesterday
20221030_131051.jpg

Always Cross

Veteran
Sourdough in a tin using a halegon oven cooked for 30 mins at 200c took out of tin too pale at the botttom so put it back in upside down for 10 mins could be tastier but only took 6 hours. Fed the starter twice as i hadn use it for a while it lives in my fridge.sourdough starter is about 60 years old. I got it from my local Italian baker who brought over from Italy when he came here. It looks like bread dough not a runny one. I’ve tried runny starters but they never work well for me. I’ve kept this one alive myself for about 10 years.

6FFE0631-1F95-4EF6-B28C-B84D67BDD80F.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
I put my sourdough starter in the freezer when I went on holiday in the summer. I haven't revived it and I'm back to baking with yeast.
It's very freeing. I realise now that I'd become a slave to the bloody thing
View attachment 666598

I was the same - feeding the damned thing all the time, having to either use the discard to make stuff we really didn't need, or throwing it away. Whilst I loved the results of using it, it was quite high maintenance.

For bread I now use a low yeast, long-prove where possible which turns out something better than the typical high yeast, forced-prove methods. Approximately 1/4 of the 'normal' yeast amount and proved overnight in a cool place (usually my garage - my Italian baking guru puts hers in the boot of her car).

figbat

Slippery scientist
The traditional way I heard told in Galicia was to keep some dough from one bake to the next in a cool place, no feeding or discarding. Then mix in with the next dough and let leaven for 18 to 24 hours.

Yeah, but again this does force you to keep baking. Sourdough works best when you have a continuous demand for baking. For occasional demand it can be done but it's a faff. I love that I can do it, but I became a slave to it.

I was the same - feeding the damned thing all the time, having to either use the discard to make stuff we really didn't need, or throwing it away. Whilst I loved the results of using it, it was quite high maintenance.

For bread I now use a low yeast, long-prove where possible which turns out something better than the typical high yeast, forced-prove methods. Approximately 1/4 of the 'normal' yeast amount and proved overnight in a cool place (usually my garage - my Italian baking guru puts hers in the boot of her car).

This is what I do. With a long bulk ferment, it's very sourdough-like.

Haven't used sourdough since lockdown 1 where yeast seemed to be made of unobtanium. Although the discard makes very good pancakes and waffles... :whistle:

Top Bottom