The bargain used modern-ish bikes thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While we have a well-frequented thread in Vintage for older bargains, the forum doesn't seem to have anything similar for newer / less exotic metal..

A few I've noticed on my travels (all Facebook Muppetplace):

Raleigh Lizard, £25, Bicester (always wanted one of these MTBs as a kid!)
Raleigh Lizard, £40, Henley on Thames
Raleigh 531 "Hybrid", £95, Oxford - looks a bit like a decent vintage road frame that's been converted - looks like a good quality / value shopping hack :smile:
Raleigh Pioneer, £55, Thame - the archetypal steel Raleigh hybrid
Raleigh Cyclone, £25, Basingstoke - vintage rigid MTBs seem to be next to worthless currently - looks like a great runabout
Raleigh Pioneer Trail, £25, Rickmansworth - apparently needs some work but another dirt cheap, small potential utility bike
Raleigh M-Trax, £65, Camberley - apparently a budget gravel-oriented frankenbike based on a small M-Trax frame; if it fits there's not a lot to complain about at the price IMO; although could probably do with some more compact bars..
Raleigh Energiser, £65, Aylesbury - Looks like another of Raleigh's late MTBs for not a lot of money.
Genesis Croix de Fer, £300, Sutton - looks like an early, decent, smallish example for a wedge less than most seem to want for these proven steel gravel bikes currently
Genesis Equilibrium, £230, Milton Keynes - Potentially a good bet if you're after an entry level steel road bike..
Genesis Croix de Fer, £385, Shifnal - Another smallish, early one - looks like a nice example and I live the colour scheme
Raleigh Pioneer Trail, £25, Swindon - Another dirt-cheap, last-forever hybrid

Please add any apparently decent buys you'd like to share :smile:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Ooof, I had a Raleigh Lizard, good bikes for what they were. Of course I also had the big D cell bike lights to go with it!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Genesis Croix de Fer, £300, Sutton - looks like an early, decent, smallish example for a wedge less than most seem to want for these proven steel gravel bikes currently

That is the smaller framed but otherwise identical version to mine. I would want a bit more than £300 if I was selling. Oh, and I have to take issue with the wording of the advert - "very light" - no they're not :ohmy:!

vickster

Legendary Member
That is the smaller framed but otherwise identical version to mine. I would want a bit more than £300 if I was selling. Oh, and I have to take issue with the wording of the advert - "very light" - no they're not :ohmy:!

Broadly round the corner from me...however it's a 56 so too big (not that I'm in the market!)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yea,h does look like decent money for what it is.. I kept an eye on these for a while before I got my Fuji as I thought an old tatty one might make a good utility bike.

Funnily enough whilst moving my CdF around the house earlier I thought "this is light", but then I have been handling the fuji recently which weighs considerably more. I guess it's all relative!

Something weird going on here with your links (which will only work for people with a FB account!)
Genesis Equilibrium, £230, Milton Keynes - Potentially a good bet if you're after an entry level steel road bikeGenesis Croix de Fer, £385, Shifnal - Another smallish, early one - looks like a nice example and I live the colour scheme
Thanks - link sorted :smile:

Spotted today near Ellesmere Port - poor title and in the wrong category: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185593715790

It's a Dahon Boardwalk for £45 starting price. Given it's got few details, is collection only and is in 'wheels and wheelsets' my guess is it'll go cheaply.
Nice - I could do with a folder, although that's sadly a bit far from me. Is Dahon stuff considered to be OK? A brompton would be nice but sadly I'd like to hang onto both my kidneys..

That Bicester Lizard (one of many, hereabouts :okay:) looks to have had some frontal conversion resulting in a SWB model, or is it the camera?
Not sure what's up tbh - it looks straight but I did wonder if it was a smaller variant with 24" wheels. Looked similarly proportioned to the other one linked to though, so who knows..? Maybe you need to take a look in person ;)

While we're at it I found another:

Raleigh Genesis, £25, Blackburn

:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This Genesis Equilibrium, £230, Milton Keynes - Potentially a good bet if you're after an entry level steel road bike.. has been for sale a while now just a shame it's a small sized frame

I like this one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/490451336021449

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

You are right they are not light. The small frame is about a 53cm. I didnt like the Alex rims either. They did not have sealed

IMG_20180913_125801.jpg
bearings and the water would get in.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
You are right they are not light. The small frame is about a 53cm. I didnt like the Alex rims either. They did not have sealed

View attachment 663636 bearings and the water would get in.

I found a similar issue with mine!

(Pics in original post if you click on it).

Decided to give my Genesis Croix de Fer a good wash down this morning after it's recent touring around York and district.
Used muc-off bike cleaner (a xmas present, I'm usually a fairy liquid user for the bikes!) and degreased then re-lubed the chain. Took it a ride along my street just to shake off the water, and noticed a grinding noise from the front axle.
Took it apart and found the cones to be in a bad way. Oh well, no point putting it back together like that, so now need to source some new ones, which could prove difficult. One side has a slightly bigger surround bit on it. Google here we come. Maybe after a ride on another bike, which supports the case for n+1..

Last edited:
Top Bottom