The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern

winjim

Smash the cistern
You probably know this, but the Celebrity is not really an Ovation guitar.

It was a much cheaper version, made somewhere else.
For the level I'm at, a good manufacturer's budget line is fine. I only need it to be half decent and playable. It's going to be in a house with two small children so it might get a few knocks anyway.

The choice will be, an Ovation with high action, a Celebrity that's a bit more playable, or whatever else they've got in the shop on Saturday.

The Ovation is a Korean model.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK, to throw a spanner in the works, I've noticed that the shop have a couple of Ovation Applause models (bottom of the range, below Celebrity) with a fair discount. So the choice now might be the original Ovation, which I really like but might be unplayable, a used Celebrity which I'm sure is fine but is not really pulling me in aesthetically, or a brand new Applause.

Or is it all too complicated, not worth it for the cheapo versions and should I sack them all off and just get an Epiphone? It does look nice and would do what I want.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What Epiphone?
This one. I sort of feel like Epiphone are a reliable brand so I kind of trust it to be OK.

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/epiphone-aj-220sce-solid-top-electro-acoustic-guitar-ebony/

Of course they'll have more guitars in the shop but a lot of the ones on the website seem to have already been reserved or sold by the looks of it. I'm open to coming out with something completely different.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's interesting, I have the same style and colour but a Yamaha.

Back when I started guitar in the late sixties Epiphone was a premium brand and well thought of. Bit different now it's owned by Gibson. I have a Epiphone EB0 short scale bass, made in China but it's a lovely instrument and quality is good. Never had to touch the neck.
I should just have a session on the ones you like and see which one speaks to you. Be careful as they might have a 'No stairway' policy :laugh:
I follow the Richtone site as my cousin lives in Sheffield and they have some decent second hand stuff which I could pick up when I visit or get her to collect for me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Epiphone are solid overall, they've gone through phases where depending on the period and the factory they've ranged from phenomenal, through good, down to some bang average models, but they're never terrible. The guys in my local music shop say the new ones are back to something approaching their better quality in terms of production after something of a dodgy period a few years ago in a factory that's now closed. If it's a new Epiphone it should be nice to play, if you're buying used you might just want to research that model and year a bit.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not really knowing that much about them I've always considered Epiphone to be a budget version of Gibson but still reasonable quality. The one on the website is new I think anyway.

As for having a session on them in the shop, it's just going to consist of strumming a few chords really. I've only been back playing a few weeks after all. I've spent the last week learning the chords to Let It Go and Surface Pressure so I can play them for my daughter, that's the sort of level I'm at.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not really knowing that much about them I've always considered Epiphone to be a budget version of Gibson but still reasonable quality. The one on the website is new I think anyway.

As for having a session on them in the shop, it's just going to consist of strumming a few chords really. I've only been back playing a few weeks after all. I've spent the last week learning the chords to Let It Go and Surface Pressure so I can play them for my daughter, that's the sort of level I'm at.
Yes, sort of. Gibson bought Epiphone when they were a direct competitor, albeit at a stage when Epiphone were struggling a little. Originally, Epiphone made totally separate designs to Gibson. Gibson did eventually use the Epiphone name on some of the more affordable lines of their own guitars (the Les Paul is probably the best example) although it's not quite as simple as that and there are still unique designs to both lines. Some vintage Epiphones (especially Korean made) are highly sought after.

The Squier line made by Fender is more true to your analogy of the "budget line" model where the designs are always identical and the materials and place of manufacture are the main difference.

I quite like the look of that one you posted, and yes it's new. Should be a nice guitar to play for years to come, good on you!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've just got out of the shop. Looked at the Ovation and the action is pretty high and the saddle's already super low. Guy at the shop agreed it needs a neck reset which for me isn't worth the hassle. I also decided that cheap Ovations are a bit try-hard really. With something like that, get a proper one or don't bother.

So I tried the Epiphone, liked it and bought it. I think it'll be a good dependable instrument, just what I need. And I do like the aesthetics, black with a tortoiseshell pickguard, I don't like the look of regular acoustics. So yeah, I'm pretty happy overall. Just need to find a way to stop the kids trashing it.

Top Bottom