The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I damaged my hearing as a young man by playing records way too loud, way too often. I did a few REALLY stupid things which probably resulted in the total hearing loss that I have at certain frequencies. Things like this...

I was a complete idiot when I was young... Coming back from the pub and putting my headphones on and fulling asleep with music blasting me at crazily high volume. That kind of thing...

The most stupid thing I did was to stagger to the stage at one gig and put my head into the flared horn of a massive bass bin while the band were playing LOUD! :wacko::eek:

There are certain frequencies that I can't hear at at all now. I'm not talking about the usual loss of high frequencies with age - frequencies below and above which I can still hear.

Hornchurch

OK, to throw a spanner in the works, I've noticed that the shop have a couple of Ovation Applause models (bottom of the range, below Celebrity) with a fair discount. So the choice now might be the original Ovation, which I really like but might be unplayable, a used Celebrity which I'm sure is fine but is not really pulling me in aesthetically, or a brand new Applause.

I had an Ovation Electric Legend in the 1980's, beautiful built necks, one of the best necks I've played on an acoustic. The round body was a pain, slipping off your knee all the time when playing sitting down, even with a strap.

Typical me, a month 'late into the thread' (arrival, me being a 'newb') & that part of the thread is already "done/dusted" !

Been reading those (prev') pages with interest as although since the late 1970's I've always played electric, I also have two accoustics

Bought a crazy-cheap, but lovely Ovation L.777 'Legend' (Made in U.S.A Conneticut), back in early 2006

It blew me away as to just how "nice" the neck was AND playing it was comprable to my five U.S.A Stratocasters, in quality !

It's a "mid-bowl" rather than deep-bowl & I didn't find mine to be too bad when sitting down - (hunched on the couch !)

It came from 'Peach Guitars' in Essex & was originally around £2,000+ Then plummeted to £1,600, then £1,200, then £800 (over time)

Being left-handed (L.777), meant it had become "wall decoration", so I ended-up getting it for a paltry £499 - (by comparison what it was)

They 'mugged me off' with a $hit (beaten/used) Ovation case, which I sold on E-bay & got £36.00 for.

As luck would have it, within four-months, I won a bankrupt-stock B.N.I.B mint-condition case, highest-quality for that L.777 available (£65)

Some lads on here tho' might be FAR more interested in the "cheap" accoustic that my Mother bought me back in 1977

It was an Eros Model 606 Dakota -(I still have it today)- & was in the shop-window, in North St., Romford, for £39.00 (& Rosetti soft-case)

Back then I wuz a hardcore Led Zeppelin fan, but had ZERO idea that Jimmy Page had used one, during the Led Zepplin.II album !

Apparently that EXACT same make/model ('606' Dakota), was used on "Thank You" & more importantly, "Ramble On" !!!!!

Wasn't keen on the former-track, but, went ballistic as regards the latter - Also another track, which my band played, 'Live'

We were pretty good back then (as a group) & did Joe Walsh, Thin Lizzy, Eagles & Led Zeppelin tracks, on stage, in front of hundreds.

Most of our gigs (& main useage) were providing large London churches of around 350+ with live backing (& 2,500 @ Westminster)

My fave track off "Zep.II" was the immortal, "What Is & What Should Never Be" & I LOVED playing it live (thru a 1974 'Twin-Reverb' valve-amp

Back then, I only had my (then, new), 1977 CBS Era Fender Telecaster & for softer stuff, this Eros Model 606 Dakota - (not knowing !)

Wasn't until about 7-8 years ago, that several websites showed Page, in the studio (L.Z.II), with that same 'unknown' guitar.

Folks are still rather vague (or mostly unaware) of the Fuselli Bros' & the importers, "Rosetti" (who back then imported Gibson, IIRC ?

Anyways - I'll sandwich a link, below, showing Jimmy Page using it & the website it came from - (now, Italian, but was also in English)

Fuselli Bros & the Eros Model 606 Dakota used by Page in the studio, during the making of Led Zep' II

Subject came up again for me this last week, as my son bought me a 'brand-new' Vinyl "Led Zeppelin.II" L.P, on Atlantic Records (sealed)

Not bad for a £39.00 guitar my Mother bought from Romford, which (606 type) was also at the Morgan studios, for those sessions.

Another Article - Mine Has The Black Celluloid Headstock, rather than these, shown

Eros Model 606 Dakota - Led-Zep.II album.jpg

Eros Model 606 Dakota - Jimmy Page - Led-Zep.II album.jpg

Last edited:

Seevio

Guru
Seems I have an audition coming up. Have a bunch of songs to learn but the bass isn't clear on youtube audio and google can't find bass tab.
Interesting times...

Well, it was last week but what happened was...

So, I thought I need to impress so I want the best sound possible, right? That means new strings.

I go to change strings.

Not that I notice at the time but the old strings may have been slightly bigger than the slots in the string nut. As I undo the strings they stick in the nut and pull it away from the neck. I didn't notice this until I went to put in new strings and noticed that there was a gap at the top of the neck. Cue much searching around the floor of my "fun" room. Eventually I give up looking and find out that the nut is still attached to the old strings. All good. I have no glue handy but hope that string tension will hold it in place. After tightening the E string, on one turn the loose end pinged round and removed the nut to somewhere. Probably Narnia. I still haven't found it. I have a brass replacement on order.

Time had run out so I had to dig out my Mockingbird bass. It sounds (and looks) fantastic but is a nightmare to play,

As to the actual audition, I had a great time. I realised how much I miss playing with other people. Sadly I didn't get the place but it was worth it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After Colin mentioned his bass humming in another thread... it's dawned on me that i might need to shield my bass

progress-jpg.jpg

question is:
Do i need to cover the entire cavity and underside of the lid with foil and ground it?
or...
Can i just do the pick-up slot and the area around the access panel where the pots and jack will be located? (linked and grounded, obvs)
or...
just shield all the wires?

After Colin mentioned his bass humming in another thread... it's dawned on me that i might need to shield my bass

View attachment 650058
question is:
Do i need to cover the entire cavity and underside of the lid with foil and ground it?
or...
Can i just do the pick-up slot and the area around the access panel where the pots and jack will be located? (linked and grounded, obvs)
or...
just shield all the wires?
If it's a proper humbucking P-style pickup, it doesn't need shielding. Just be sure it's wired up correctly.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The chopping board bass build continues.

I wasn't really taken with the blocky heel section where the neck meets the body...
18a the heel before.jpg

...so decided to spend a few weeks procrastinating and came up with this...

18c drilled and grommeted.jpg

...which looks and feels far far nicer.

Just finessing the sanding around those curves before gluing down the top and making this...
19 ready to glue.jpg

...look telecaster shaped :okay:

I might get it finished before Xmas :whistle:

Top Bottom