The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A question regarding pick-ups on my bass... to get the output as balanced as I can from each string, the pick-ups are set wonky.

pickups.jpg

The way I've set it up, the strings don't follow the neck radius; they're perfectly level above the pick-ups.

Setting the pick-ups level, the output of the fat E and skinny G is significantly louder than the middle A and D strings... my question is why?

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I question regarding pick-ups on my bass... to get the output as balanced as I can from each string, the pick-ups are set wonky.

View attachment 725290

The way I've set it up, the strings don't follow the neck radius; they're perfectly level above the pick-ups.

Setting the pick-ups level, the output of the fat E and skinny G is significantly louder than the middle A and D strings... my question is why?

i would think if the PUP's are set level the middle 2 strings are slightly further away from the A & D strings due to the curvature as the strings are set to follow the fret board radius

MontyVeda

i would think if the PUP's are set level the middle 2 strings are slightly further away from the A & D strings due to the curvature as the strings are set to follow the fret board radius

the strings are dead flat above the pick-up and don't follow the curvature of the neck. It's almost like one side of the coil is 30% more sensitive than the other, which doesn't make sense since it's the same coil.

@MontyVeda , split-coil Precision pickups 101.
First, set your strings to match your fretboard radius. The instrument (or any other instrument with a radiused fretboard) will not play well without this setup.
The split pickup is designed to be adjusted wonky, as it were. Each half can be set for a pair of strings. If the uneveness of the look grates on you, this is not your style of pickup! But that's how it is meant to be. The ends of each segment may also end up unevenly distant from their respective strings, as the different gauges will give different outputs.

Seevio

Guru
I question regarding pick-ups on my bass... to get the output as balanced as I can from each string, the pick-ups are set wonky.

View attachment 725290

In general, the "why" part is that magnetic fields have a shape and the position of the strings within it will contribute to the volume.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll always find the E and A are louder, simp,y bedause there is more mass in the strings, and thus more disturbance in the force magnetic field, and thus a louder output. As ACDCbaswman says, adjust the pickuo accordingly to suit, and depending on how much the electrics, pots and caps, may or may not even out the signal there could be a fair difference between the two halves.

MontyVeda

You'll always find the E and A are louder, simp,y bedause there is more mass in the strings, and thus more disturbance in the force magnetic field, and thus a louder output. As ACDCbaswman says, adjust the pickuo accordingly to suit, and depending on how much the electrics, pots and caps, may or may not even out the signal there could be a fair difference between the two halves.

this is my question... it's the E and G that are the loudest, the G having the least mass is louder than the A and D.

@DCBassman I know they're designed to be wonky... I'm just wondering, from a science POV, why the G rings louder than the fatter D and A strings. Nowt to do with aesthetics or any OCD on my part :smile:

MontyVeda

How old are the strings?

as old as the bass... around 2 years.

MontyVeda

And were they quality items to begin with?

What does it sould like acoustically?

I think so... flat wound, can't recall the make but they were recommended on here and I seldom doubt the advice of a cyclist.

It sounds fine acoustically. I very rarely plug it in but sounds fine when i do.

Just to be clear, my initial question isn't about a problem that needs resolving. it's been resolved by setting the pickup heights as shown in the photo. It was a question regarding my curiosity as to why there's such a big difference in output from each string. It makes sense that the fat E is louder, but the skinny G baffles me.

Just taking a random photo off the interweb shows a similar set up...

D69QQgskv7QNxITNzhrka6INCbyWKuxL1MZOtCpc9NM69-PnuH.jpg

I know that's how they're supposed to be, i just wondered why :smile:

MontyVeda

The strings might be dead if they've had a lot of use. My regularly played clank planks need new strings annually.

Always makes me chuckle when folk say you need new strings regularly.
Most YT bass gurus say that too... but Bernard Edwards would strongly disagree.

The set up is the same now as it was when the strings were brand new; the E and G have always been significantly louder than the A and D

Top Bottom