The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The one I've been using this week is exquisitely made. Sadly it goes back at the weekend once its owner is settled into his new house.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been trying to play a bit of lead guitar... just for fun. It's not something I've ever really tried before but am finding that my G and B strings are going well out of tune when i bend them only a few times. Is this normal?

It's not a new set of strings. There isn't a whammy bar and the tuners don't lock.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just get some decent tuners @MontyVeda . I find Gotoh, made in Japan are very good. I've got some on one bass thas is 30 years old, the neck is twisted so they've come off there and are now on my Yamaha.
You don't say what guitar it is but all entry level ones have crap tuning pegs. Could also be the neck moving, is it subject to changes in temperature?

SuffolkBlue

@MontyVeda

Assuming it's not just new strings then check the nut - sometimes those strings are prone to sticking in the nut if the groove isn't cut correctly. You might occasionally hear a pinging noise when tuning. In my early days of playing, as a temporary measure, I'd run a pencil lead (graphite) along the groove to lubricate it. If you find that it temporarily solves the issue then you might want to take it to a guitar tech to cut the nut properly.

MontyVeda

thanks for the replies. As stated, they are not new strings

The tuners are Gotoh. The nut is brass and have never had any issues when tuning it or playing it normally... it's just after few full tone bends they'll be around half a tone out of tune.

edit... @Cycleops It's a Gordon Smith GS1-60, about 20 years old with a set neck and definitely not an entry level guitar.

I'll never play like this chap, what a genius!
Screenshot_20240312_193612_TIDAL.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
a little treat from Mark Knopfler and all his friends. Too many great guitarists on one song.

View: https://youtu.be/sCMCw0ug6ds?si=FBs4OD42uUnUAvOv

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Since I moved house I have my own room as a dedicated music room-cum-studio.

I've a reasonable pooter set up with some nice Presonus monitors, and lately I've taken to recording my own versions of songs. For example, I'm currently doing Whatsername - I don't have drums so I'm using a drum track, but I'm doing all the vocals and instruments track-by-track on Audacity.

Anyway, I need an electric guitar for the Green Day stuff so had borrowed a Tele from our rhythm guitarist, bit I can't hand onto it for ever so have today ordered a Harley Benton DC-600 VI. Tres sexy, and perfect for bedroom hobby recording.

MontyVeda

Since I moved house I have my own room as a dedicated music room-cum-studio.

I've a reasonable pooter set up with some nice Presonus monitors, and lately I've taken to recording my own versions of songs. For example, I'm currently doing Whatsername - I don't have drums so I'm using a drum track, but I'm doing all the vocals and instruments track-by-track on Audacity.

Anyway, I need an electric guitar for the Green Day stuff so had borrowed a Tele from our rhythm guitarist, bit I can't hand onto it for ever so have today ordered a Harley Benton DC-600 VI. Tres sexy, and perfect for bedroom hobby recording.

i too have been fiddling about recording with audacity. I'm sure there better software out there but Audacity is free and will probably suit my limited needs perfectly. I'm gonna have a bash at making a basic piezo pickup (or three) for my acoustics since using the phone mic isn't ideal.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got a Behringer USB interface I plug the instruments into. I have a nice condenser mic I use for Skype but prefer to plug my Behringer (pattern forming here?) stage mic into the interface and use that.

Audacity is quite basic, but also quite versatile. Lots of handy plug ins too. I tried the Presonus Studio One, and it was awesome but and unnecessarily complicated headache for the level at which I tinker.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fiddled about with Audacity to record temporary sound effects for the game that I am writing. (I will eventually replace them with better efforts.)

I whistled, grunted, clicked, snorted, sang, [whatever] into the laptop's mic and then equalised, normalised, reversed, pitch-shifted, compressed, mixed, [whatever] the sounds into something more usable.

Quite good fun!

Top Bottom