The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some might be interested that the Fender Precision bass played by Dusty Hill of ZZ top has sold for $373,700 at auction. He died in 2021.
It is a 1954 model in butterscotch which he bought originally in a pawn shop for $70 (amusing story about it in the link) Only bass to fetch more was McCartney's Yamaha 1200.

Screenshot_20231211-221338.png

https://www.loudersound.com/news/zz...bass-guitar-sells-at-auction-for-dollar393700

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm practicing bass, mando, bouzouki and a little guitar for about 2 hours daily, but for my next trick I'm teaching myself the piano. My project this year is to recreate act 1 of Tubular bells playing all the instruments, or close sounding equivalents, myself.

I don't play much guitar, maybe an hour a week compared to 90 mins a day on bass, and I alternate between fingerpicking and a pick. Can fingerpick guitar style on bass using my thumb as well, which fascinates our lead guitarist no end.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just watching the Mark Knopfler live auction.
Guitars are going for at least 10x estimated values.
A Gibson with an estimate of £15k just sold for £592k.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Disappointed.
Only went for £550k.
That was a bargain compared to the other lots.

£693k if I'm reading it right.

I joked elsewhere that I might bid on a Balalaika which had a guide price of £300. I said it was the only thing in the auction I could afford. It went for £20 000.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
£693k if I'm reading it right.

I joked elsewhere that I might bid on a Balalaika which had a guide price of £300. I said it was the only thing in the auction I could afford. It went for £20 000.

The quoted price includes the commission.
The hammer fell at £550 but commission adds 20% plus VAT.

DRM

Guru
£100,000 to £125.000 for a Strat, that's eye watering!

Any way i fancied getting a Stratocaster, but as my budget doesn't run to the above, I got one of these in early January
1706994244164.jpeg

A Squier Sonic Stratocaster, I really like the sunburst finish, and it is really a very good instrument, considering the price, the truss rod needed a little tweak, a light polish of the frets, and new strings (Rotosound Pinks 9-42's) and it plays really well, and does sound like a strat.
1706994723498.jpeg

And one of these to go with it, a brilliant little practice amp with great tone.

DRM

Guru
This is very painful for Sting as he manages to hold together during this dreadful rendition of his song:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/tGi7bwu8SHM?si=0vyFNHVY5THwKDUv

As opposed to this, Heart's cover of Stairway To Heaven, which is outstanding, during the guitar solo you can see Jimmy Page going through it in his mind, with the guitarist and enjoying every second of what's being played, and the connection between Robert Plant & Jason Bonham, playing drums for his dad, utterly brilliant.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
£100,000 to £125.000 for a Strat, that's eye watering!

Any way i fancied getting a Stratocaster, but as my budget doesn't run to the above, I got one of these in early January
View attachment 720696
A Squier Sonic Stratocaster, I really like the sunburst finish, and it is really a very good instrument, considering the price, the truss rod needed a little tweak, a light polish of the frets, and new strings (Rotosound Pinks 9-42's) and it plays really well, and does sound like a strat.
View attachment 720697
And one of these to go with it, a brilliant little practice amp with great tone.
Yes the Squire Stats are good instruments. I'm not really a guitarist but I fancied a Strat. I can't buy buy a new one here so it's a question of taking pot luck on the used market.
Apparently the Squire Starts to look out for are the ones supplied in a package with an amp by Squire, these have a full size body the same as a Fender so you can use all the Fender bits including the trem. They are designated SE. I managed to find one and an Affinity.I believe the Sonic has replaced the Affinity in the line up.
I haven't changed the pickups as I like them.

I watched that Heart performance, it was excellent.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
They’ve replaced the bullet series, they’re the cheapest Squier available now, but I’m led to believe it has the same pickups as the Affinity, I’ve also become aware since getting it that the Fender Squier Series Strats are very desirable as they are made from bodies & necks cut in USA, then built in Mexico as the Mexican factory had burnt down, so they are technically made in America instruments, with cheaper Squier electronics in them and Fender in black in the headstock, most people thought they were fakes, so were buying them used for peanuts at the time and upgrading them, it appears EBay chancers have caught up and a similar age MIM Fender Player is cheaper now by a good £100 to £150, it’s crazy

Top Bottom