The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Personally I don't buy entirely into all this talk of tonewoods and different sounds. Certainly not on electric guitars and basses at any rate. The pickups are detecting the vibration of the strings, and couldn't give a sheet what wood they are mounted upon.
I recall an acquaintance explaining to me how the curvy shape of his strat was specially designed to give it its unique sound... he got really shirty with me when i suggested they just drew a cool looking guitar, with a longer top horn to make it more balanced than a telecaster. He wouldn't even accept that the curvy body on an acoustic is solely so it rests easily on the lap... oh no... it's all been designed like that enhance the sound :wacko:.

MontyVeda

While we’re on the subject of sound and tone what’s this thing for old fender basses. I see thousands being asked for them. Do you think they might sound better/different or is it a case of the Emperor’s new (old) clothes?
Is it because there's fewer of the older models knocking about? The same way limited or misprinted vinyl is also worth a fortune.

While we’re on the subject of sound and tone what’s this thing for old fender basses. I see thousands being asked for them. Do you think they might sound better/different or is it a case of the Emperor’s new (old) clothes?
Nostalgia marketing. there's nothing special about any vintage guitar or bass. All perception.
I recall an acquaintance explaining to me how the curvy shape of his strat was specially designed to give it its unique sound... he got really shirty with me when i suggested they just drew a cool looking guitar, with a longer top horn to make it more balanced than a telecaster. He wouldn't even accept that the curvy body on an acoustic is solely so it rests easily on the lap... oh no... it's all been designed like that enhance the sound :wacko:.
Your acquaintance is...wrong.
So they are being bought by collectors?
Yes.
or the more money than sense brigade :whistle:
Same thing^^^

I will qualify my previous post a little.
In the 60s, big corporates were buying up guitar companies to cash in on pop music. Quality did suffer somewhat as corners were cut to maximise profit. Guilty: CBS with Fender, Norlin with Gibson.
Fender eventually got out of this with new blood from Yamaha. Gibson has been on a rollercoaster ever since.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anybody want some great microphones...? :whistle:
Don't all rush! :laugh:

Get yourselves over to the SoundOnSound website. There are 2 tiebreaker competitions for mics running. Your chance to get creative in 30 words.

I have won 3 tiebreaker competitions in the past, including a synth workstation worth £1,800 on SOS so I am keeping my fingers crossed on these 2, but if I have to lose out it would be nice to lose to one of you!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I will qualify my previous post a little.
In the 60s, big corporates were buying up guitar companies to cash in on pop music. Quality did suffer somewhat as corners were cut to maximise profit. Guilty: CBS with Fender, Norlin with Gibson.
Fender eventually got out of this with new blood from Yamaha. Gibson has been on a rollercoaster ever since.

As a follow up to this, there was a lot of talk & rave testimonies about pre CBS Precision & Jazz basses. 1965 suddenly had a big significance as a cut off point. I've never played a pre CBS Fender, so can't comment.

On a broader point, what basses would be considered as absolute design classics?

As a follow up to this, there was a lot of talk & rave testimonies about pre CBS Precision & Jazz basses. 1965 suddenly had a big significance as a cut off point. I've never played a pre CBS Fender, so can't comment.

On a broader point, what basses would be considered as absolute design classics?
For me, it's Fender, and that's that, really. Precision or Mustang for preference, with Jazz a sorry third.
The only other bass I'd want to own, if I had the cash, is a 60s Gibson EB2-D, for the looks and the thump.

MontyVeda

Not everyone's cup of tea... but it's an absolute design classic
steinberger-xl2-bass-1984-cons-full-front.jpg

Even though Leo designed it, it can't touch a Precision. And anyhow, when it comes to active basses, I turn into @SkipdiverJohn .
Unnecessary nonsense. Actives were originally designed (Alembic again...) to counteract the effects of poor cables. With good cables, or better yet if you're live a lot, wireless, active is simply one more thing to go wrong.
My setup is bass->cable->tuner->cable->amp. The Boss TU-2 is a buffered pedal (True Bypass - more woo), so that drives whatever cable follows it.
If it's a really small gig, then bass->cable->amp and a clip-on tuner.
KISS principle in action, and I've played enough gigs to know it works...
:biggrin:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Curses on you @DCBassman - you do realise I am going to have to read through the whole of this thread right from the beginning now to find out what the discussion is all about. :laugh:
I know very little about the intricacies of guitar design, only that I like the sort of sounds they produce, especially when doctored by electronic effects and amplified by valves.

Top Bottom