The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I found while My Guitar Gently Weeps very difficult, but it's actually 2 x basslines played simultaneously, so the best I can do is an approximation.
I read that one of the reasons that The Beatles stopped touring was because the screaming of the fans got so OTT that nobody could actually hear the music when they played. The other was that with the increasingly sophisticated recording techniques that they were using, their music was becoming too complex to play live, but I'm sure that an approximation would have been good enough if the teenage fans had quietened down a bit!

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick is famously complex.
But crucially, it is an electric bass line. The two mentioned were keyboard lines, and as such don't easily translate to the fingerboard. Particularly the Doors number.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
But crucially, it is an electric bass line. The two mentioned were keyboard lines, and as such don't easily translate to the fingerboard. Particularly the Doors number.
Norman Watt Roy's classic line is a favourite of mine: the accuracy & stamina to play 16th notes at that tempo - I'm thinking of Francis Rocco Prestia with Tower of Power.

That's an excellent point about electric bass guitar and keyboard bass. I find a keyboard really difficult to start trying to replicate bass guitar lines.
Used to always prefer electric bass: I think this was because the keyboard synth bass lines I was hearing didn't sound anything like a bass guitar - in rhythms or tone - & growing up in the early 80s was full of synth sounds that could melt wallpaper...

...but that all changed when I heard Living For The City. Here was a keyboard bass part that (imho) was every bit as good as, and plays like a brilliant bass guitar part. I think I fell out of my chair when I first heard the fill that introduces verse 1 (at 0.39).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0XEw4m-3w

Stevie Wonder would continue to record stunning synth bass lines - Please Don't Go (from the next album) springs to mind. I know Nathan Watts switches between his bass and a synth in concert. Ged Grimes did that too with Danny Wilson.

Does anyone play synth bass, or recorded synth bass, alongside bass guitar? Anyone tried the bass pedals on Hammonds?

No, there's something inherent in electric bass that's different, and no-one on a keyboard can make that sound, not even with samples. Any more than a pedal can make a bass sound like a synth...Thy're different, and that's that. Both good, mind...
Or trying to emulate upright bass on anything. There's a hiding to nothing.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
No, there's something inherent in electric bass that's different, and no-one on a keyboard can make that sound, not even with samples. Any more than a pedal can make a bass sound like a synth...Thy're different, and that's that. Both good, mind...
Or trying to emulate upright bass on anything. There's a hiding to nothing.
Yes, agree that electric bass tone is unique: I've not yet heard a keyboard that has the tone of electric bass. Also, keyboards struggle for muting, slides, hammer ons, pull offs etc. Plus, you can really dig into the strings - which a keyboard player will never be able to do.

On the other hand, Pino's fretless Stingray with octaver, in 'I'm Going To Tear Your Playhouse Down' is an interesting electric bass tone!

I played double bass (badly) and they absolutely have their own sound.

Leaving aside the tone of the different instruments, the main idea I was trying to get to, is that the note choices, rhythms and creativity shown in those bass performances above (by keyboard players Stevie Wonder and Joey DeFrancesco), for me, are brilliant, out of this world: maybe looking at the keys, rather than the frets & strings, gives different inspiration and approach to our wonderful instrument?

... and if I could play bass like that (and I never will), I'd be one happy person.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
This is, I hope, an interesting, if unconventional tale and all the better, because it is entirely true.

There's a guy from Germany who has a home in the very small village on the other side of the hill from me - about 5 miles away. His name is Uli Jon Roth and he was in the Scorpions band.

This is the guy :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1leWoVXOo

There's a great story about him - a local elderly lady resident got talking to Uli in the village and asked what he did for a living (she didn't know who he was !). He replied that he was a musician, and so the resident asked if he’d like to play in an event to raise money for the local church.

Uli very kindly replied that he would !

Now just take a second to reflect on that - in a tiny village in a remote part of Wales, an old lady inadvertently bumps into Uli Jon Roth, doesn’t recognise him, finds out that “he’s a musician”, and asks him to help raise funds for the church.

Of course, the 200 tickets for the event sold out quickly - which was actually held in the church itself. Local parishioners sat amongst fans of Uli that had travelled from all ends of the country to witness this unique event, and of course, to help with the upkeep of the historic church in Llansilin. Sadly, by the time that I heard about it, all the tickets had sold.

https://www.bordercountiesadvertize...oncert-by-world-famous-rockstar-uli-jon-roth/

I think that this ^^^ is an amazing story and all credit to Uli, for getting involved with his local community and helping to raise money for the church. Media stars and musicians are often criticised, for being aloof and for ignoring the public - this can't be said, of Uli Roth.

Does anyone know, did Jet Harris use a Fender VI bass or a detuned Strat or Jaguar on Diamonds? I've read both and don't know which, if either, is true.
VI I always thought, but who knows, really?

Seevio

Guru
Finally got round to restringing one of the basses. I wouldn't normally post a photo of something so trivial but they are rather splendid strings.
IMG_20200511_225447_0[1].jpg

Top Bottom