The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

delb0y

Legendary Member
What amazes me is the cost of good musical instruments. Amazes me in a good way BTW. When you compare the cost of a guitar against that of one of your recent bike purchases, there's a big difference, isn't there? For instance, if I'd have bought a bike at the same price I'd paid for my new (and beautiful) guitar, I'd have been shopping at the lower-spec end at Halfords or Decathlon, or gone second-hand.

I spent £500 once, on a Martin, which made me feel a little faint. But other than that I tend to inhabit the £200 to £400 range, albeit second hand. You're right, you can get great guitars for this money.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Don't sell your guitars or basses guys, you don't need to be the virtuosoist of virtuosos to make great music.

Here's a little extract from a book:

'........... Kalle Freynick witnessed a four-hour performance in Augsburg in which Holger fulfilled a long-held ambition to play the same note throughout an entire show.'

I spent £500 once, on a Martin, which made me feel a little faint. But other than that I tend to inhabit the £200 to £400 range, albeit second hand. You're right, you can get great guitars for this money.
I think my Tanglewood was under £300, but it was a long time ago! Sounds great though :okay:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Big fan of Tanglewoods here - I use a TW45 and a TW60 for most of my acoustic stuff. They're great and can usually be had for bargain prices.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I was impressed by the playing of 'Tina S' but it actually doesn't do anything for me! I prefer relatively simple music with more emotion to it. This kind of thing...

I was going to say much the same thing, but thought that it would sound like sour grapes on account of I can only play about 1 note in 16 of what she played. I only made it to the two minute mark before becoming bored. Clearly very technically adept though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to say much the same thing, but thought that it would sound like sour grapes on account of I can only play about 1 note in 16 of what she played. I only made it to the two minute mark before becoming bored. Clearly very technically adept though.
I had a friend who used to play me tracks from his jazz albums. He was really into it, but the strong feeling that I got was that the musicians were more interested in demonstrating their technical skills than in stirring my emotions.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I guess it's the same in any genre. There are jazz players / albums / tunes like that. But then some of my all time favourite solos are from jazz players (not just guitar) and the ones I like tend to be slow and very melodic, and most definitely not about chops.

One of my guilty pleasures (because I'm not a rock fan) is checking out the players on the JTC site. Here you have folks who love all that distortion and delay (which in general I don't usually go for) but some of them use it extremely well with a lot of taste. Here's a taster of one of their more bluesy offerings:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsc-lPHv0U

and another bit more rocky:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrwElb8qPQ

Top Bottom