The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Reminds me of my younger sister who, thoroughly mashed, once managed to blag her way backstage after a Ramones gig. Got talking to a very nice young chap, eventually asking him what his connection was. He looked slightly taken aback and said 'I'm with the band'. Thinking he looked like a roady or something she asked what he did with the band. This time he looked more than taken aback: 'I'm the lead singer,' he said.
Reminds me of a mate of mine who, thoroughly mashed, ended up backstage after a gig by ... [??? - it was 45 years ago - I can't remember!]. He tried talking to someone who he knew was the lead singer of the band, a band who up until that evening he was a big fan of. The very un-nice young chap looked up with a scowl on his face, told my mate to eff off, and threw a pint of beer over him!

GM

Legendary Member
I know this is a bit cheeky but, my boy brought this back from America when he worked out there. He's now looking to sell it, but he's not sure of the value, he seems to think around the £500 to £600 mark, any clues!.... It's a Peavey T-40 around 1983 era.

489102 489103 489104

BTW...I can play the bass line to Albatross, all 2 notes :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Today I've added 2 more easy basslines to my repertoire, Another One Bites the Dust and Dazed and Confused. I think I'll be ready for some of the more complex scales soon.

I was doing 'Another one bites the dust' when that advert that used it was out and my grandson came running in saying, 'Grandad's playing "another one buys a Duster"' which he thinks it is called. But I find Queen's songs the easiest to play by a long way although my first full bass song was the incredibly easy 'Roxanne' by Sting out of those Police brothers.

I know this is a bit cheeky but, my boy brought this back from America when he worked out there. He's now looking to sell it, but he's not sure of the value, he seems to think around the £500 to £600 mark, any clues!.... It's a Peavey T-40 around 1983 era.

View attachment 489102 View attachment 489103 View attachment 489104

BTW...I can play the bass line to Albatross, all 2 notes :smile:
These are great basses, but well-known to be above average weight wise. Nonetheless, they have a devoted fan base. Tell him to search the Basses for Sale section on basschat.co.uk to get an idea of what he might get.

I recall Nile Roger's talking about the late great Barnard Edwards and his bass... another bassist was amazed by the sound of his strings and wanted to know which brand he used. Bernard had no idea, they were the same strings that were on the bass when he'd bought it over a decade previously.
It gets worse...before he died, Bernard gave that bass to John Taylor, of Duran Duran. He told his tech to give it a good clean, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES change the strings, because, of course, they'd been the strings that played on Good Times, Le Freak, you name it. The tech ignored hime, cut them through, and installed a set of John's usuals.:eek:
John not best pleased...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have found this Youtube channel very good when wanting to learn a bassline. The tabs & printed music are downloadable too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiv_DCslaDDJPX-rxFgRCPg

Sixmile

Veteran
I play mainly guitar (and have released half a dozen albums/eps over the years) but now and again I'll play some bass for the craic. I had a Schecter Gold Series which was a thing of beauty and the easiest playing bass I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I just wasn't getting the use out of it so sold it cheaply to a young mate of mine. I've a 1/2 size Yamaha bass for home use and I've borrowed a friends Fender Acoustic bass but unfortunately I've no pictures of any of these so you'll have to take my word for it!!! :tongue:

Owner of a lonely Heart and Communication Breakdown sorted. May have a crack at Parisienne Walkways tomorrow.
Almost certainly not your thing, but check out the bass work on Carpenters stuff, and Abba. Just concentrate on the basslines, they are very good indeed. I learned a great deal listening to Joe Osborn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom