The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
May I recommend Down in the tube station at midnight for a bassline that that sounds impressive but is not that tricky to play.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not really a Jaco fan. He was a bit of a nodder as a human being too, apparently - he used to get drunk and deliberately start fights, until the fateful night when he picked a fight with a martial arts expert and lost his life as a consequence. Technically a sublime player, just a bit too Jazz Club for my tastes.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I never knew that's how he died. Wow.

The only album I have that he played on was the one that Coyote is from. It's a great album - but I guess it's a fair distance from hard rock.

Mart44

Über Member
I never had a bass guitar but was reasonable on 6 string acoustics in former years. I've still got the guitars but rarely play them these days. Nonetheless they hold memories and make good ornaments, so I'll keep them on show. Not unknown for me to pick one of them up and pick out a few melodic tones if I have a beer or two. :smile:

VRmgga9.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mini D has just started guitar lessons at school. She told the teacher here favourite rock songs were Stairway to Heaven, Layla and Bell Bottom Blues. Upon hearing this her teacher played about 2 minutes of Stairway for her, which she thought was great. Strange, cos when I play it she's like, "meh".

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Wayne's World is brilliant, like watching my own biography.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I play mainly with a pick, Dunlop Tortex 1.1mm. I make a point of doing some finger picking every time I practice, but with only 3 working digits my technique is all wrong anyway.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I play ok! 6 strings was really difficult though, but I manage fine with 4. Technique is nothing like 'the book'thougn, gavi g to bring my thumb into play and covering 2 strings with my index finger. I is, however, a lot less stressful for me with a pick, doesn't need so much brain power! :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Spent half an hour adjusting the truss rod and setting the intonation and the action. Slight fret buzz, but its inconsistent so I think more down to it being a cheap guitar and the frets not being very well dressed than anything else. It is only very slight, so I'll leave it until the next cha ge of strings, whereupon I might give it some attention. I'd pay someone, but it's not worth spending much on a 50 quid bass that was probably no more than £300 when new.

Top Bottom