The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm going to always say (and type) bass-guitar from this day forth... gotta feed the pedants ^_^

Edit... will my yet to be made chambered/acoustic tele-bass be a bass-guitar? It's bassed on a telecaster shape, which is definitely a guitar :blush:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My personal take on the debate is thst people have too much time on their hands. Things evolve, new things are created that don't neatly fit into any established category, and that causes arguments.

Musically it is indeed closer to a double bass, but by structure and construction it is closer to an electric guitar. Thats why i'm cool with either - while guitar isn't strictly correct, it isn't completely wrong either. Look on the bright side - we're the coolest musicians on the stage, and just so long as the groupies remember that i'm not bothered what they call the clank plank im playing ;)

Lemmy, as always, had the right idea. It's foolish to waste time and energy categorising stuff when you could simply be enjoying it instead.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
@Drago .....as someone who can't play a note your chosen thread title always makes me wonder....... Bassist and Guitarist. Is a bassist not a guitarist or are they viewed differently ??

Now look what you've started. I think we can all learn from this :rolleyes:

Next week on the Bass-Guitarist and (proper) Guitarist thread, we'll be discussing the subtle differences between the totally different musical styles of black-metal and dark-metal :whistle:

Last edited:
Bass Guitars generally have a 34" scale length whereas an upright 'Double Bass' has a 43.3" scale length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_length_(string_instruments)
Double basses have scale lengths all over the shop depending on what 'size' they are. My 1/2 size was about 39.5", for example. Longest full size up to 44".
Electric basses are scaled generally between 30 and 36 inches, 34 being the 'standard' simply because the Precision Bass of 1951 was that scale.

I'm going to always say (and type) bass-guitar from this day forth... gotta feed the pedants ^_^
While @Drago is entirely correct really that it doesn't matter, the pedantry tends to begin with people saying you've two strings missing, or do you play that because you're not good enough to handle 6 strings...
Truth is it IS easier to pick up a bass and get started, because it's physically easier than learning, say, barre chords. But mastery of bass playing is every bit as difficult as a guitar. And I'm not including 'slap' bass...which for the most part is simply an unpleasant aural assault.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Double basses have scale lengths all over the shop depending on what 'size' they are. My 1/2 size was about 39.5", for example. Longest full size up to 44".
Electric basses are scaled generally between 30 and 36 inches, 34 being the 'standard' simply because the Precision Bass of 1951 was that scale.
Yep that's what it says in the 'wiki' article I posted

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I don't have any trouble with what people call the instrument. My ears have always liked low notes - whatever the instrument - & I've previously posted about keyboard players playing fantastic bass lines. I've heard the sousaphone & tuba as the bass in funk bands & well fine they are too!

There may be a case to say that any instrument that reads bass clef is some kind of 'bass'. Bass clarinet, bass trombone, bass saxophone being a few examples of bass instruments within musical families.

Leo Fender was undoubtedly a genius: the early classic designs (Precision, Jazz, Tele & Strat) were brilliant from the start and still endure in absolute relevance today.

Not having a low D or C (as keyboard players do) for some songs felt like missing out, and I started using a Hipshot D tuner on my E A D G strung bass. It struggled to hold a low C, but the D sounded fabulous.
For many years now, my four string has (La Bella) B E A D strings. You lose five semitones up at the dusty end of the neck but as a bass instrument, for me, those notes aren't important. The five notes you gain (Eb, D, Db, C and open B) make the world go round.

Most people who've experienced the bass notes of a cathedral pipe organ will never forget it. All without amps, speakers and a PA.😊
I also love the extra bass notes of the Imperial pianos:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldfry-qNsS4

What we all love though, regardless of opinions & tastes, is one of the greatest things in life - being able to share & make music.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So........help me out here.
Give me some famous groups** and maybe members that played.......
Bass
Bass guitar
**names I would recognise ^_^

mythste

Veteran
Heh. This takes me back - havnt read the whole thread because it's massive.

My claims to fame are that I played at Glastobury in 2008, and T in the Park in 2009. Bass Guitar in both instances. A few UK and European tours. All over by the time I was 21.

Now I spend my weekends on bicycles. Lord only knows.

Top Bottom