The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
The best drummers are on drugs.
Nah. The best drummers are on 9v DC.
1619452110490.png

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Change of theme. Ive been using Presomus StudioOne recently. It is very versatile, but...it's very complicated, and a but flaky. It regularly forgets the drivers and stuff for my Behringer interface. Its been so annoying I've gone back to Audacity, which isn't as capable (but is more than enough for my needs) but is rock solid stable and very simple to use.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been playing about with Audacity again recently. It's a bit daft using that when I have a (legitimate!) FL Studio All-plugins installation, but I have not yet spent enough time getting my head round how that works to be able to use it.

I discovered that the game engine I am using has its own audio processing system built in. I had been processing my audio clips in Audacity and adding reverb, chorus etc there. The trouble is, that can make the files quite big. If my game imported 'dry' sound files they would probably only be about 10% of the size and I could get the game engine to liven them up.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Turned down a gig for next weekend. There are a couple in the diary for July onwards, but for some reason next weekend just feels too soon. Reports from the venue (an outdoor beer garden, playing in a marquee) was that last weekend was very busy, but with few masks and little social distancing. I just didn't feel the love, so trusted my instincts.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I saw our lead guitairist wihile walking the dog this morning. We agreed that once Mrs D and myself have had our 2nd jabs then we can start rehearshing together, so hopefully 2 or 3 weeks. No bookings yet, but I don't think thatll be a problem.

ColinJ

Right you lot, I have found a great creative musical challenge for you, but you will have to hurry - entries must be in by 17th May, 2021.

The task is to write an advertising jingle for Vision Direct, maximum length 30 seconds. It must be entirely your original work, the rights to which you will transfer to Vision Direct if you win. Winners will not only get the pleasure of irritating radio and TV audiences all over Europe with their catchy earworm, they will also receive a payment of... (drum roll)...

£10,000!

Full details HERE. (There is mention of a recording session at Abbey Road studios. That sounds like you might be invited to record the production version of the jingle, but I couldn't see any confirmation of that?!)

Good luck! :okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive sent in my entry, which must be sung to the tune of the On The Buses theme...

"Vision direct,
I don't know what they do,
But I want ten grand for 30 seconds work,
So habe to say theyre f#@$ing bloody brilliant,
Buy their product,
I'm sure it will be good,
Though I'm still not sure what it is,
But it might be something to do with telescopes"

I reckon the ten gees is as good as mine.

ColinJ

D'oh!!!!!! I am very embarrassed to admit this, but it has to be done... :blush:

I have 2 guitars - a nylon-strung Yamaha classical guitar, and a steel-strung Tanglewood acoustic. I am used to replacing strings on the Yamaha but I never actually got round to replacing the strings on the Tanglewood, despite having owned it for years. The strings do need replacing, but given that I barely touch the guitars, it's not really been a big issue. :whistle:

The important fact is that I am used to tying nylon strings to my classical guitar bridge and NOT used to attaching steel strings to my other guitar using those little bridge pegs.

When I first bought the Tanglewood, I tuned it. Yeah, I know, a bit of a revolutionary concept, but you never know - I might actually decide to try and play it! Anyway, there I was, day #1, over 20 years ago, guitar tuned. I strummed a couple of chords. Mmm, they sound pretty nice - loud, and bright compared to the more subtle tones of the Yamaha. Then I did a bit of finger-pickery stuff on the top few strings. Still good. Now pick out a tune on all the strings... picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, pwwwwicky! Huh? Try again... picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, pwwwwicky! WTF was that? Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, pwwwwicky! The bottom E string sounded 'flabby'. One string at a time from the top: clean, clean, clean, clean, clean, MUCKY!

My new guitar was crap! What a waste of money. I got in a strop and put it to one side for a while. Eventually picked it back up. Nope - bloody grotty bottom E. Over the following couple of decades this process was repeated many times. It never actually occurred to me to try to work out WHY the string sounded so flabby... :wacko:

Anyway, today I picked up the guitar again to try out some ideas for my Vision Direct jingle (see my previous post above). Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, pwwwwicky! Oh, of course, that foul bass string.

Hmm, it had taken over 20 years for me to get curious about it but exactly why did the damn string not sound as good as the others? I mean it is a pretty simple construction. The woodwork of the guitar is immaculate. There's just this little peg to hold the string in place... absent-mindedly presses peg... did I imagine it, or did the peg move ever-so-slightly? Presses it firmly this time; no more movement.

I felt a bang-my-head-against-a-wall moment coming on... Test the guitar: Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky, picky! No more mister flabby E - bloody PICKY PICKY!! :banghead:

Well, there goes my excuse for not playing that guitar! :laugh:

Turns out that the Environmental Health folks have pulled the plug on all the live music at that place I mentioned a few posts back, due to much breaking of Covid restriction rules. Turns out my instinct was right...
Bummer. In more positive news, I have just been asked by an old guitarist friend (who is frighteningly good) to do some REM for a laugh.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We've got a new drummer. Not met him yet, but apparently our vocalist knows him and gives him the thumbs up. Hes older than the rest of us, and apparently did some sessions with Free in the 70's.

So hes joined a pub band where the vocalist has played live a band.
Neither guitarist has played live in a band.
The bassist has played in a band, but that was over 25 years ago and on guitar.

What could possibly go wrong?

The frighteningly good guitarist and I were in a band together from 2004 to 2006. He was just 18 then, I was 50-odd...
He's the kind of bloke who can change tuning on the fly, and not get lost. Think of what Michael Manring does on bass, but using a Strat...
If you've never seen what Michael Manring does on bass, your head might just explode!

Top Bottom