The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thought this might strike a chord somewhere:

8DEEA49E-7328-4B83-89F0-E4CC293622A2.jpeg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Hes very skilled, but like Jaco hes just a diletente, does nothing for me.

Right, weve got 2 hours studio time booked for next week.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hes very skilled, but like Jaco hes just a diletente, does nothing for me.
I feel the same. A colleague of mine was really into jazz - the cleverer and more showy it was, the better. It left me cold...

It always strikes me as "Look at how brilliant I am" rather than "I hope that you enjoy this great tune/song"!

2 examples on piano...

"I am a brilliant pianist!"

"This is a lovely piece of music..."

Less is more!

PS I suppose if the Ligeti études are only for advanced practice, that is fine. I certainly wouldn't pay to watch somebody play them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Jaco. Technically superb, but has the soul and groove of a paving slab.

McCartney. Technically unsophisticated, barely even reads music, but he has the knack of writing some superb songs and bringing them to life in a way that will be talked about for centuries.

I know who I'd tather be listening to on the 8 track.

In more positive news, I have just been asked by an old guitarist friend (who is frighteningly good) to do some REM for a laugh.
Band is now fully populated, first physical meeting, for a beer, next Monday. I smell gigs!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Right you lot, I have found a great creative musical challenge for you, but you will have to hurry - entries must be in by 17th May, 2021.

The task is to write an advertising jingle for Vision Direct, maximum length 30 seconds. It must be entirely your original work, the rights to which you will transfer to Vision Direct if you win. Winners will not only get the pleasure of irritating radio and TV audiences all over Europe with their catchy earworm, they will also receive a payment of... (drum roll)...

£10,000!

Full details HERE. (There is mention of a recording session at Abbey Road studios. That sounds like you might be invited to record the production version of the jingle, but I couldn't see any confirmation of that?!)

Good luck! :okay:
Vision Direct have just extended the deadline by a week - closing date is now the 24th.

Top Bottom