The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There doesn't seem to be much interest in the Vision Direct jingle competition!

I contacted them to ask for clarification on some details. This was the reply...

Vision Direct said:
Hi Colin,

Thank you for your interest in the competition.

It doesn't need to be [a] professional [standard of recording], but if your jingle wins, we will record it afterwards in a professional studio under your direction.

Our idea is doing it in Abbey Road Studios, and that would be part of the prize. You would win that experience where you'll be recording your jingle in such an emblematic place.

However, it's subject to availability, but if it's not at Abbey Road, it'll be in some other professional studios.

We are looking forward to listening to your jingle, please send us your proposal! The participation is still quite low so the chances to win are quite high.

Win £10k, annoy the world with your jingle, and direct a recording session at a major studio... Sounds good! :okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Met up with the band at a studio in MK for 2 hours of practice. We were pretty tight right from the off, and it went well.

When I got home I rewarded myself by ordering a Squier 50's classic vibe 50's precision bass in blonde. Well, it would have been rude not to.

iandg

Legendary Member
I got a 60th birthday present from the wife and kids (back in March) - Ibanez Artcore
IMG_20210402_193052_589.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not a guitar/bass thing, but some of you might be interested...

I was a big fan of the original Doctor Who as a child. I was scared of the theme music, but really liked it so I wrote a letter to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. I was thrilled to get back a package with a letter in it, some unreleased recordings, photographs of the studio and the equipment that they used and so on. Anyway... I just noticed that BBC4 is showing a documentary tonight at midnight about Delia Derbyshire, one of the pioneers at the workshop. Oh, and available HERE for the next 11 months on iPlayer. It should be fascinating. I'll watch it later.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That looks very nice @iandg How do you like it? I was considering a semi...
:laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Shame, I could have saved you a few Bob on that:
https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/pro...ass-50s-white-blonde-2nd-hand--ysquier107061/
Excellent condition. Maybe someone else is interested?
I got it brand new for £302, free delivery on the day if my choice. 34 extra sheets from a brand new instrument,warranty intact, delivered to my door on the day I want it, is pretty good value.

Thomann are doing them new for about £260, but there are the import duty issues etc.

iandg

Legendary Member
That looks very nice @iandg How do you like it? I was considering a semi hollow.
From that facial expression were you a punk in your younger days? :becool:

It's nice, really enjoying playing bass again (I was in my 20s when I last owned one and used to borrow my eldest's until he left home). Good tone (but I'm not using an amp) and short neck's comfortable.

I was an angry teenager, would probably have been a punk if I wasn't so keen on bike racing at the time :laugh:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think Donald 'Duck' Dunn of Blues Brothers fame is a much underated bassist. This popped up on my Facebook feed and this guy goes through his techniques on 'Sweet Home Chicago' from the film. Not a lesson on how to play.
I'm a great blues fan so find it very interesting, maybe some of you might too.

View: https://youtu.be/ty6J45fNM8E

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Top Bottom