The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before anything else, I have to ask a possibly obvious question, so apologies, it's not meant to sound bad. Is this possibly the OTHER end of the truss rod? Is there a butt-end adjuster, and maybe the wood fillet meant to cover the headstock end is missing? There's no way to remove a truss rod through either end without damage, normally have to remove fingerboard and/or skunk stripe.

And if I'm wrong about that, are you certain that there's no hex flats in there somewhere? Some need a deepish key.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No adjuster on the other end. I had the neck off before but I'll check again.There is definitely a threaded inset there but might be difficult to see in my pic. It's a real mystery.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No adjuster on the other end. I had the neck off before but I'll check again.There is definitely a threaded inset there but might be difficult to see in my pic. It's a real mystery.
The 'truss rod' could be a tube but I've never seen one (but then I've not seen many of those Basses apart)

My guess is someone snapped the truss rod trying to adjust it 'under string tension' so I'd fit another neck.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thought I'd give you an update on my lockdown project (which still is a long way from completion)...

it started with a cheap P-style neck:
View attachment 596960
...that I butchered years ago and drilled a new tuner hole in completely the wrong place.

I've had various ideas regarding reshaping it over the years, evident by the marker and pencil lines.
Finally settled on a shape, plugged up the holes and redrilled for a smaller set of tuners...
View attachment 596961

and got to this...

View attachment 596962

I'm gonna put a veneer on it but having bought a selection of random veneers, I can't make my mind up which one :angry:

Next came the chopping board...
View attachment 596963

...which I threw to one side and got some MDF out to make a template with.

View attachment 596965

View attachment 596966

screwed the template to chopping board and started drilling...

View attachment 596968

A band saw would have come in handy but i don't have one, so after god knows how many holes, time to play dot-to-dot with the jigsaw...

View attachment 596969

and back to the sander to grind off all the nobbly bits.

View attachment 596970

...and repeatedly back to the sander with finer papers to get it more or less to its final shape. But here's a picture of my bike instead.

View attachment 596971

Next step is to join my two sheets of cedar for the top, make yet another template for positioning the bridge, pickup slot and neck pocket, cut those, then hollow out the chambers...I'll report back in god knows how long with some more photies. :rolleyes:
another small update on the hollowcaster bass build...

I wasn't happy with the first template i cut for routing out the chambers, so made another one which I am happy with. It'll also be used for cutting the slot for the pickups in the soundboard...

In other news... I made a shooting board for getting the glued edges of the soundboard perfectly straight...

Which was a lot easier than I'd expected :eek: (getting the join perfect, not making the shooting board)

I think the time spent restoring my plane was time well spent... it's never run so smooth, or been so sharp.

After fitting a nice new chunk of ply to the top of my tatty old bench, i got ready to glue up said soundboard...

There's lots of ways of doing this, some with ridiculous degrees of complexity. I went for the simplest looking method; a baton to raise the inner edges about 5mm off the bench, a row of nails down the outer edges... apply glue to inner edge, remove baton and the two halves should be held tightly together whilst the glue does its job. (and not forgetting some baking paper to stop me from gluing it to the bench!)

...pile loads of crap on top and leave over night.

It's gonna be a scary moment tomorrow when i check if it's worked :blush:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Well, today I must, technically, leave this thread.
I've given up on the REM tribute and the longstanding quest for a pianist for the jazz trio and called it a day with playing bass.
Just too much pain and aggro.
I'm grateful, so far, that I can still cycle, but it's getting more difficult.
Bummer.
:sad:
I'm neither a bassist nor a guitarist*... so you have more rights to be here than i do :okay:

*I posses guitars but can't really play them.

MontyVeda

the two halves appear to be one and soundboard is coming up lovely... for cedar, which is a bit non descript grain wise.

Great fun watching (and listening to) the plane removing just dust from the high points of the rough sawn faces, then biting and taking small shavings here and there, that get longer and longer until they're the full length of the board.

Next job... back to mother's to start cutting the chambers in that chopping board.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to grab a piece of Rolling Stones history an acoustic guitar which had a gunshot hole put in it by Keith Richard after an argument in a Memphis hotel room with Ronnie Wood is being put up for auction:
https://guitar.com/news/music-news/the-guitar-keith-richards-shot-a-hole-in-is-going-up-for-auction/

1629410606700.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Top Bottom