The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
It would have been later than that '83/'84?
Another good venue was the Bass Clef in Hoxton, once saw Alan Holdsworth there, but rammed unlike the DB gig, you literally could hardly get in the door.

Allan Holdsworth was probably the most advanced guitarist on the planet IMHO, his harmonic concepts are still beyond the majority of players, his improvised solos were never the same twice. A truly original talent, one of my all time favourite musicians. RIP.

This old video shows his unique harmonic concepts for guitar and musicality.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8VDBdukFmM

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm no fan of slap but this guy is just so good:

View: https://youtu.be/pXNJS4HiVck

I don't like a lot of modern jazz. To me, however dexterous it might be, it always seems to be about, "How can I do lots of stuff without necessarily breaking too many musical rules, and without it sounding completely random?" Pure pretentiousness, IMHO.
The DB stuff is " I'm making whatever noise I want, according to my own or no rules". I got roped into a free jazz jam once (perils of living in a small community and being the only one with a bass). Horrific nonsense. Sorry, but there it is. You might like it as music, but it sure as little apples isn't musical...

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think when you realise you're never going to be young and cool enough to be able to jump up and down on stage making a racket with nothing but power chords, you've no choice but to retreat into the comfort and safety of good technique and complex musical theory.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think when you realise you're never going to be young and cool enough to be able to jump up and down on stage making a racket with nothing but power chords, you've no choice but to retreat into the comfort and safety of good technique and complex musical theory.
I have taken that to the logical conclusion - I sit across the room from my guitars and keyboards and just glare at them! :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The octobass of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. It typically plays one octave below the double bass. This rare bowed strong instrument was first built around 1850 in Paris by the French luthier, Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume. Because of the extreme fingerboard length and string thickness, the musician plays it using a system of levers and pedals. The levers serve to engage metal clamps that are positioned above the neck at specific positions. These clamps act as fretting devices when the performer presses the levers. In addition to the Paris instrument, octobasses exist in the collections of the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona and the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. In October 2016, the Quebec company Canimex donated the octobass shown here to the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, which is now the only orchestra in the world to own one.

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_130357.jpg
    IMG_20221126_130357.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom