The beginning of the end of rear stays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
A mono fork bike (and with stays on the same side only, to save space when folded) has been widely available in the form of the Giant Halfway for a few years already. It is apparently a Mike Burrows design:

4187250126_bde4eb2778.jpg

Cunobelin said:
Apart from the concept being used by Mike Burrows in his City Bike some years ago?

IMG_0412a.jpg

And a number of other people before him:evil:

In the Coventry Transport Museum collection there's a bike with single fork blade and single chain stay. It dates from around 1890. It, like every similar re-invention of the idea since, was a commercial flop.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I like the idea of a monofork (and tail), as it simplifies puncture repair, and allows things like belt drives to be explored.

My Furai doesn't have a rear triangle, but I've only seen FWD 'bents with a monotail to date (and that was a burrows one too, IIRC).

snailracer

Über Member
guitarpete247 said:
I would have thought the the remaining frame components would have had to be over engineered to retain the strength the missing bits contribute. Therefore it would be heavier than a bike with the correct geometry.

The missing seatstay tubes don't contribute much to frame strength - apparently the limiting factor on their thinness is dent resistance - if that could be ignored, seatstay tubes could be even thinner than they actually are. So, having no seatstays is only a small design jump from the really thin seatstays on a conventional bike frame.

I'll admit this seems a bit counterintuitive to me, however most of the strength is provided by the beefier chainstay tubes. The seatstays contribute stiffness rather than strength. On a sporty bike, stiffness is important, but on most other bikes, IMO vertical compliance (ie a smooth ride) is more highly prized.

Do not confuse stiffness with strength. A stiff frame is not necessarily a strong one.

Seatstays also provide convenient fixing for brakes, mudguards, racks, etc. which is another reason why most bikes have them.

I don't think it's necessarily true that a seatstay-less bike is heavier, more likely there is simply no demand for a lightweight seatstay-less bike.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The ON makes use of the “System Integrated Chain Case Technology”, where the chain case is a single sided, fully enclosed, structural part of the bike frame. This results in a maintenance free, clean and efficient drive system with 9 speed internal gears and disc brakes.

sorry, but I think it will corner like a Brompton. As in completely horrible. OK for a utility bike, but not for something that looks like it's supposed to be fun.

2780609557_5f0660e05e.jpg

the Honda Revere.

arallsopp said:
I like the idea of a monofork (and tail), as it simplifies puncture repair, and allows things like belt drives to be explored.

My Furai doesn't have a rear triangle, but I've only seen FWD 'bents with a monotail to date (and that was a burrows one too, IIRC).

What's the point? Belt drives are great for high revs and light loads but are crap for high torque.

There's a reason why the bicycle has little changed for 100 years - the design is right. Apart from refinement everything else is design for design sake.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hilldodger said:
What's the point? Belt drives are great for high revs and light loads but are crap for high torque.
Probably right. I must admit I know almost nothing about belt drives. I just find myself lusting after something quieter than the 3 chains and 2 idlers required to move pedalling forces from front to back on my Furai.

Hilldodger said:
There's a reason why the bicycle has little changed for 100 years - the design is right. Apart from refinement everything else is design for design sake.

...Said the cyanobacteria to the lamprey.

:rofl:

fido

Veteran
Dull. I'm not staying here.

Did you see what I did? DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID?

Crikey, just look at me go.

OP
OP
RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
fido said:
Dull. I'm not staying here.

Did you see what I did? DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID?

Crikey, just look at me go.

I have always wondered what makes pooches chase and perform various rude acts to perfectly innocent bicycles. Now it appears that, from the horse's dog's mouth, perhaps it is the exposed chain?! ;)

Top Bottom