The benefit of rest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think there's a lot of machismo attached to boasting about how many miles you've done but long rides tire out my legs and arms and shoulders. Nowadays I aim for quality not quantity so I select a route with good roads and some great climbs and descents and drive there to do it with fresh legs. If I can incorporate some wind assistance to give even greater pleasure, I won't hesitate.

I've always been aware of the benefit of resting between rides, as that's when tired and strained muscles rebuild their damage and become stronger, but I was struck by what is probably a sign of age recently.

I've been doing rides of 40-70 miles, ish, most weekends, with the occasional short midweek ride for the past couple of months. The rest in between rides has made a big difference, and my fitness and strength are slowly improving.

But I've recently been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to a minor elbow injury, and then last Saturday I rode one of my regular workout routes along the Liverpool Loop Line. I felt a lot stronger, like a step-up in fitness, and I was more than 2mph faster than I'd previously done it. The next day I did a 35-mile city circuit, and again felt a good bit stronger than before.

I know this is only one sample and not statistically meaningful, but I can't help suspecting that at my age (60 next month) having the occasional longer rest is beneficial.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

The benefit of rest is that it cures general tiredness and fatigue. One of 2 reasons I despise this work for a living sludge we all have to go along with.

I'm 32 now and while you would be forgiven for assuming that I was only born yesterday, I definitely also noticed age creepin in. My cycling fitness hasn't gone down. In fact thanks to speed cameras and too many cars I have been doing more cycling than ever, altho still nowhere near what other cyclists do. What I do feel is that when I get properly boozed up, my hangovers are longer and more severe. The tiredness from the hangover lasts all through the next day. And then the next day after I am still tired due to a knock on effect on my sleeping pattern.

Why is it that the body ages, but the brain doesnt. I would still rather play pokemon than chess. I think about jet fighters more than I do about my pension. Farts are still funny and my boss has a willy on his head!

screenman

Legendary Member
Getting the correct mix is the hard thing, I mix things up between swimming, bike and gym, one day off a week seems to suit me. I have tried two days of rest but it seemed to make me feel sluggish in general.

Top Bottom