The benefits of giving up booze.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Even if you drink a pint a day. Giving up beer reduces life expectancy
I meant a bottle of spirits. I'm talking unhealthy drinking.....if you stop drinking a bottle of vodka a day, trust me, you will prolong your life.

Just one blow out every now and again just destroys your fitness. Sleep diminished and no energy. It’s ok if you can have one or two then just stop, seem to function ok drinking as long as you’ve no hangover.
if only, if only! the ultimate test. for me it was have one or two then just have another one or two!
and i consider my will power to be pretty sturdy. alcohol just has that magic will breaking power^_^

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm doing dry October. I had a two day start as well because I began on September 29th so it's one week sober (although, to be fair, I haven't been drunk as such for over a decade) but I do feel like drinking tonight - after that bloody 'performance'!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have never been into drinking, even when I was younger and can't understand the binge drinking culture in the UK. Same with smoking, I have never smoked and never had the desire to do so. A bit of a boring person really . I don't even drink a pint of cider a week and a glass of wine occasionally. When somebody buys me a bottle a wine, it goes in the cellar and only comes out when we have visitors to eat.
I am quite happy with orange squash or such likes, even plain old fashion water.
I don't think that makes you boring @gavroche !

No one is more boring than a drunk, probably because so many of them think they are enormously funny.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I was a drunk, I didnt think I was enormously funny but I can laugh back at some of the things I did. However I remember when drinking, I use to work in a snooker club in the city area (Holborn but a lot of the customers would come up from the city with clients) I use to look at people with contempt when a pair would come in and order, a table, a sandwich and two cokes. I use to think you boring bastardos. In fact I was the boring bastardo, I would get up, drink, go to work and drink, go home and drink until I was ok to sleep. I did nothing else every day until I stopped and seen there was a lot more to life, probably what the pair were experiencing, yet I thought they were the boring ones. Not any more, I now try to enjoy everyday without the booze and life has got so much more interesting.

postman

Legendary Member
Just having a lazy day while waiting for the repair man coming.So catching up with some threads.I have noticed I have been bringing in a few bottles of Guinness every fortnight then complaining about excessive peeing.So once again I am going to.try and stop.Included in this will be cola drinks,it is possible they both are irritating the bladder,we'll see.On the down side our off sells beer at a good price.

Top Bottom