The best footballer ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Gazza was probably the best British player I have seen, before he became a bum. That was also when the England team were at their best, having a flair player like Gazza and also decent players surrounding him. The England team now really lacks a real flair player, and the rest of them are mainly overpaid crap.

Lionel Messi is the best at the moment IMHO.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Arguably prettier than the 2 university complexes they built swallowing 2 beautiful valleys, with not a squeak of opposition though!

They also built a massive great bypass around there, though I seem to remember that did have some opposition. At least there's a railway station at Falmer. Most the old grounds seemed to be built near railway stations.

Incidentally, very off topic, I thought it was odd to have Sussex University one side of the road and the University of Brighton the other. Sussex University was a 60's red brick university with a proper campus and halls of residence dotted about. University of Brighton was formerly Brighton Polytechnic and the buildings at Falmer were just one of a series of college buildings strung all along that road, through the grotty Mouslecoomb estate, and almost down to the sea front.

Happiness Stan

Best players I have ever seen play:

Cantona, Fowler, Shearer circa 92-93
Cantona had pure majesty
Fowler and Shearer were the most single minded goal machines I've ever seen

Peter Withe, Gary Birtles, John Robertson circa 1979
Withe: Arrogant little shite but deadly anywhere near the goal
Birtles was magical
Robertson could get past anyone down the left wing

Roy Clarke, Terry Eccles, Jim McCaffrey (Mansfield Town no less) Circa 1975. I was 10 and worshipped them.

Allan Clarke circa 72-74. Loved his style. My first ever sporting hero

barney5286

Hi I'm brand new here on cc, and I hate football. If a deliberate foul is committed (no matter how trivial), why not send the player off? This would stop all the bickering and arguing within 2 weeks.
I'm ready to be flamed now lol!
Hello everyone
Barney

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hi I'm brand new here on cc, and I hate football. If a deliberate foul is committed (no matter how trivial), why not send the player off? This would stop all the bickering and arguing within 2 weeks.
I'm ready to be flamed now lol!
Hello everyone
Barney

Welcome - but you'll have to try much harder than that! I suggest posting something advocating compulsory helmets in Commuting - then everyone will get to know you pretty quickly...

It looks like the new Brighton stadium will have a massive focus on travelling support, most notably of the extra-terrestrial kind given that it looks like a UFO landed in a field. I think if I ever went there I'd half expect to be 'abducted' but I'm sure the resulting corn circle will be cool.

ASC1951

Guru
No it wouldn't. Football is a high speed athletic game and the great majority of fouls are simply lack of awareness or bad timing, so no amount of card-waving is going to eliminate those. You would end up with a slow, non-contact sport and no audience.

What would certainly help is to follow professional rugby's rule of only allowing the captains to speak to the referee. But that is such a simple and obvious change that FIFA and the Premier and Football Leagues have clearly decided that the swearing, cheating and indiscipline throughout the professional game are acceptable because it is more exciting for the spectators. They could cut it out but choose not to.

barney5286

No it wouldn't. Football is a high speed athletic game and the great majority of fouls are simply lack of awareness or bad timing, so no amount of card-waving is going to eliminate those. You would end up with a slow, non-contact sport and no audience.

What would certainly help is to follow professional rugby's rule of only allowing the captains to speak to the referee. But that is such a simple and obvious change that FIFA and the Premier and Football Leagues have clearly decided that the swearing, cheating and indiscipline throughout the professional game are acceptable because it is more exciting for the spectators. They could cut it out but choose not to.

I think you missed the word 'deliberate' in my original post.

Top Bottom